Painted over serial # plate

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Looking at a cub and the serial number plate has been painted over . Is there a way to remove the paint without ruining the way the plate looks under the paint?

Re: Painted over serial # plate

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:26 pm

Tom, I can't offer a suggestion other than that Tim Talleur (tst) makes a clear decal that overlays the SN plate and makes it look like new. I would guess you'll need to use a paint remover to get the paint off and the black with come with it.

Bob

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:36 pm

Acetone and shop towels will remove most of it. The serial should be stamped and easy to make out once some of the paint is removed. You can buy new plates and brass rivets? if you decide to buy it. The brass rivets/pins just push in.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:25 am

If the paint on the plate is alkaloid-based paint (like IH/Case… ect) try a soft bristle tooth brush with alkaloid-based paint thinner on it and rub gently. You can buy the thinner at Walmart…the cheap stuff.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:44 am

you can also use lacquer thinner. i then used some of tim's overlay decals on the plates, look like new after that.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:49 am

When I was a kid I remember scraping the paint of my Super A's serial number plate (by then it had been repainted about 20 years) with a screwdriver. Oh yeah. You know what they say about the Lord looking out for fools and children--the plate was almost pristine when I was done! It was a real thick coat and it just peeled right off. Old plate still looks good today.

THe previously suggested methods are all good. You have to be careful with the early-mid 50s Cubs with the sort of script serial number stampings. My experience has been that they're stamped so shallow it's easy to obliterate the numbers. I wouldn't use anything abrasive.

Al

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:53 am

That is one thing I have seen when I have looked at tractors that I don't like.
I have never understood why people don't tape it off or put some time of cover on it or remove it.
I think the plates look pretty cool and can pop out at you.
I hope you get the paint off of it