This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Dilemma

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brutalfly
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64011
Tractors Owned: 1973 International Cub S# 241812

Cub Dilemma

Postby Brutalfly » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:21 pm

So I was eating dinner tonight and then check my phone (I have not been around it since I got home)
I had a message from the lady who had the $3000 cub.
She left me a message and told me that we would go lower on the price and told me in the message that $2700 was the lowest that she could go on it.
So I told my wife and she tole me to call her back and tell her we will take it.
I just don't know what to do. I will probably go look at it again. Still a few hundred out of my budget.
I just gotta make a decision.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Dilemma

Postby Eugene » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Inspect the tractor before you promise to purchase it.

As far as the purchase price. Take cash in the amount you are willing to spend, along with a blank bill of sale. Lay out the cash and tell the widow this is all you can spend. If she doesn't take the money and sign the bill of sale - - - wait another 2 or 3 weeks. The seller's price will come down.
I have an excuse. CRS.

DieselDennis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39042
eBay ID: ccbil
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub (Great Granddaddy's)
And some bigger ones.....

Postby DieselDennis » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:38 pm

I don't know about the prices in your area, but for $2700 it better be in pristine condition or come with a trailer full of implements.
'48 Cub 12V Conversion, Zenith Carb, Electronic Ignition

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:40 pm

I have to stick to what I have said in the past. You have brought this subject up in two different posts and I don't think anything has changed. You have been given great advice then and it is still good advice. It is now your decision to make. If you want that Cub so badly. then spend the money and put it in your barn. By not buying it you will always wonder "What If". Where as, if you do buy it you will still wonder, "What if". At this point I doubt you will get any other answers than the ones you want. If it is something you truly want then the cost is no object, so go for it and ease your mind. I still feel it is not worth more than the others have said.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:57 pm

First, I agree with Eugene's statement.
Second, are you sure the plow, what you are wanting to use, is COMPLETE with all the associated parts. I've seen a lot of plows without a hook, depth lever, dogbone, eyebolt, coulter, etc.
IF the plow is all there does it have good useable wear parts?

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:45 am

that is too much, they have been going in the 1500$ range in my neck of the woods with good paint and tires! here is one.
http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/class ... ex=2821162

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:34 am

gusbratz wrote:that is too much, they have been going in the 1500$ range in my neck of the woods with good paint and tires! here is one.

If I lived closer I'd be buying that tractor. I paid $1,500.00 for mine and it doesn't come close esthetically to the one you gave the link to. That thing looks mint.

Brutalfly
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64011
Tractors Owned: 1973 International Cub S# 241812

Postby Brutalfly » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:38 am

Thanks for your replies.
I am sorry I ask so much.
When it comes to this type of thing I am not a veteran with it at all.
I love having this board because it helps me with a lot of things and I can try to understand what I don't.
So thank you all for your patience and your tolerance with helping me out by giving me your input it is greatly appreciated.

gusbratz wrote:that is too much, they have been going in the 1500$ range in my neck of the woods with good paint and tires! here is one.

In this area on craigslist everybody is asking between $2700 and $3200. I missed out on one due to low funds that I would have gotten for $2000

Scrivet wrote:First, I agree with Eugene's statement.
Second, are you sure the plow, what you are wanting to use, is COMPLETE with all the associated parts. I've seen a lot of plows without a hook, depth lever, dogbone, eyebolt, coulter, etc.
IF the plow is all there does it have good useable wear parts?

This one comes with a woods belly mower and a plow. It also has wheel weights on all 4 wheels and brand new tires in the rear. The only thing that I need to check on is the arms from the front to the back for the plow

Barnyard wrote:I have to stick to what I have said in the past. You have brought this subject up in two different posts and I don't think anything has changed. You have been given great advice then and it is still good advice. It is now your decision to make. If you want that Cub so badly. then spend the money and put it in your barn. By not buying it you will always wonder "What If". Where as, if you do buy it you will still wonder, "What if". At this point I doubt you will get any other answers than the ones you want. If it is something you truly want then the cost is no object, so go for it and ease your mind. I still feel it is not worth more than the others have said.

I respect everything you have said in every post I have written on this board and greatly appreciate the time you have taken to respond to my posts and understand and agree with a lot of the things you say

DieselDennis wrote:I don't know about the prices in your area, but for $2700 it better be in pristine condition or come with a trailer full of implements.

In this area on craigslist everybody is asking between $2700 and $3200. I missed out on one due to low funds that I would have gotten for $2000
This one comes with a woods belly mower and a plow. It also has wheel weights on all 4 wheels and brand new tires in the rear. The only thing that I need to check on is the arms from the front to the back for the plow
Eugene wrote:Inspect the tractor before you promise to purchase it.

Eugene wrote:Inspect the tractor before you promise to purchase it.

As far as the purchase price. Take cash in the amount you are willing to spend, along with a blank bill of sale. Lay out the cash and tell the widow this is all you can spend. If she doesn't take the money and sign the bill of sale - - - wait another 2 or 3 weeks. The seller's price will come down.

I totally agree with you. I need to go look at it again and see

Again thank you for all of your replies I appreciate them all

Jason_Coffey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74011
Tractors Owned: -
1958 F Cub with Woods 42C
1962 LoBoy with FH & Mott Flail

Postby Jason_Coffey » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:58 am

If I remember correctly, 64011 is around Kansas City. ( I lived in Belton for three years) There are better deals within driving distance of you. I will start by saying, part of the enjoyment of owning a cub for me is cleaning it up and making it look the way I want. Therefore, I won't spend more than $500 on a cub ever. Here are some prospects around you: (in driving range)

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/4360041890.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/4347392967.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/4357106905.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/4357863527.html This is a good deal IMO. I guarantee he has more than asking price in this Cub.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/4388565039.html I'd be all over this like a fat kid on a cupcake.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/4397588229.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/4373959932.html

$3000 is too much in my opinion. I am not as seasoned as the others here but I have enjoyed my cubs and working on them. If you have never owned a cub (or tractor) getting one and whipping it back into shape is the best way to learn about your machine and how to repair/maintain it when you need to. If you were willing to drive into the Tulsa area you could find a decent cub for much less than you're looking at now.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:16 am

I'm going to be the one to disagree with most folks here. As I mentioned in your other post, that tractor appears to have been really well cared for, so much so that someone invested probably $1500 for a NEW Woods belly mower. I think the tractor is worth $3000 all day long with the mower, weights and plow. If I were in the mood to buy one, and had the cash, I'd go with the $2700, and offer her $2500 just to see if you can get it. I can tell you (again) that you would spend WAY more than that refurbishing one, and everyone on here has done exactly that. It's rare to find one in such good shape with a NEW belly mower. Matter of fact, it's very rare to even find a new belly mower since they are so expensive.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:23 am

gitractorman wrote:I'm going to be the one to disagree with most folks here. As I mentioned in your other post, that tractor appears to have been really well cared for, so much so that someone invested probably $1500 for a NEW Woods belly mower. I think the tractor is worth $3000 all day long with the mower, weights and plow. If I were in the mood to buy one, and had the cash, I'd go with the $2700, and offer her $2500 just to see if you can get it. I can tell you (again) that you would spend WAY more than that refurbishing one, and everyone on here has done exactly that. It's rare to find one in such good shape with a NEW belly mower. Matter of fact, it's very rare to even find a new belly mower since they are so expensive.

I agree. It might be a regional issue but just the tractor will set you back $2,500.00 here in Maine and finding things like a mower in good condition is tough to do.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:27 am

GI, you're not the only one thinking that way. As I recall from the previous post, this is a very sweet little tractor. It takes a lot of investment to get one to this condition, then add in the new mower and you've got a very good deal, in my opinion. If I were in the market to buy a Cub, that I could put right to work, this little tractor would be in my barn by now.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:33 am

These are some good examples of what you can expect to find. My comments are added from my experience looking at these types of purchases on craigslist

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/4360041890.html No wheel weights $250, or plow $300, mower deck is old, and tires and cosmetics of tractor are old and worn. Add in the $500 for items your getting with your tractor, and you're in the same price range but still have a tractor that doesn't appear to be in nearly as good condition, and an old mower deck!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/4347392967.html Old, worn, cobbled electrical system, who knows what else. Probably a $850 tractor, but plan on spending $2000 to get it to the condition of the one you're looking at already. You'll still have an old mower deck with this one, although it's a 59" deck.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/4357106905.html Beautiful tractor. Very nice looking restoration. Add in the $1500 for a new mower deck an you're at $3700. Then add in $500 for blade and weights. Hmmm. Your's is still looking like a good buy.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/4357863527.html This is a good deal IMO. I guarantee he has more than asking price in this Cub.
This looks to me like a "rattle can" restoration. Missing some parts. No headlights. Tires are mismatched and really worn. Not so sure this is such agood deal. I'd be offering them $850 and planning to tear it down and do it right.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/4388565039.html I'd be all over this like a fat kid on a cupcake. Yep, thats a $300 lo boy all right. You'll put $2000 into it to get it going and about a year's worth of time. Trust me, been there done that! It needs everything and LOTS of it!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/4397588229.html This one is actually probably the best buy of all the ones listed. Looks like a pretty clean, fairly original tractor (minus the big turf tires from a number series lo boy). Price is good. No plow or wheel weights so there's $500. Couldn't plow (or do anything other than mow) with those big high-flotation tires. Guess it depends on what you're looking for. They never made a 72" belly mower for a Cub, and it says 59 right on it, so it kind of makes me wonder what they REALLY know about the tractor???

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/4373959932.html This is another that's not too bad but will need lots of work to get in the condition of the one you're looking at. Hand lift means no hydraulics, so that's something to consider. Only rear weights, and no plow. I'm still liking the one that you're already looking at.

So, you see, I still think you're getting a really good Cub for the price. Go with $2700 and bring it home. You'll have a much nicer machine than ANY of the ones posted above, that appears to be ready to turn the key and use every day, unlike ANY of the ones posted above. Yep, I'd already have it on my trailer if I were you!.
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:42 am

Opinions provided are just that opinions. None of us who have provided thoughts have inspected the tractor, kicked the tires, or taken the tractor for a test drive.

If you are unsure about the condition of the tractor and implements, contact Cub owners in your area and ask them to help inspect the tractor and provide an opinion. There are several very knowledgeable Cub owners close to Bates City, Missouri.

Check Craigslist for Columbia, Missouri.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:43 am

I suggest that if you buy that one, you look around for another drawbar. taking all the mower hardware off the drawbar to put the plow on is a pain. As a matter of fact, just taking the drawbar off with the mower hardware on is not very handy.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”