Another Cub Found Me

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:27 pm

I wasn't looking for another Cub tractor but got another one anyway. I put an ad on craigslist
to sell a 600 Ford tractor for parts or rebuild and was working up a deal for it and a bush-hog
to a looker when he mentioned he had a cub he was thinking of selling. Deal turned to a trade
and this little Cub came down my driveway this morning.
It is a 1952 and might would be all original had it not been converted to 12 volt with a
solenoid hanging on the outside of the hood behind the steering column. Needs a pressure
washing to remove some black accumulated grease and I think it will look pretty good.
Engine runs great with that special Cub sound, good brakes and clutch. Needs some rear tires, it
has the small 8-24 with worn tread but they are holding air and has weights and fluid.
Here are some pictures.....

Re: Another Cub Found Me

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Looks like a nice solid old Cub. Way to go!!

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:49 pm

Good looking Cub in my book. That mower deck has me scratching my head though. Is it a Bush Hog brand with some "custom made parts"?

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:11 pm

I don't know what brand it is. I haven't looked for a name on it. I'll see if I can find one.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:07 pm

Nice looking Cub Charlie!

Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:03 am

Good snag! I would just put that sucker to work.

Billy

Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:29 am

Looking good! That is an interesting mower.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:50 am

looks a whole lot better than my first cub! good deal!

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:15 pm

Nice find

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:00 pm

_____________________________-

There was no brand name on the mower and it looked like someone had re-worked it
and didn't do a very good job on it. I took it off and put my sickle mower on.
Very pleased with the tractor. Still running great but I guess I need to adjust the
float in the carb. If I leave the gas valve on after running it and let it set awhile it
seems to flood when I start it back up. If I shut the gas off it will start back up
with a touch of the starter every time. .......

Looks better with a sickle mower on it anyway.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:46 am

Great looking cub Charlie, looks even better with your sickle mower on it :{_}: :{_}:
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:49 am

Always a good idea to shut off the sediment bowl valve when you park it for any length of time. The float NOT keeping a good seal is a common occurance for IH. It's a good safety practice in case of a loose/broken fitting on the gas line or carb as well as an economic one in case a couple gallons of gas $$$$$$ drip out before you notice the leak.

Besides, shutting off the valve gives you a chance to brush up on your troubleshooting when you start it up without opening the valve and the tractor dies 30 seconds later "like it ran out of gas :shock: ". Then when you realize what you did you can do your best Homer Simpson impersonation "DOH!" :D :lol:

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:47 am

I think those are original rear tires. It's very rare to find a matched set like that.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:24 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:I think those are original rear tires. It's very rare to find a matched set like that.

Me too. I wish somebody would re-make them, as well as the old Firestone Ground Grips.

Al