This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

valve seat cutter question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jimbaker
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77984
eBay ID: Waco1928
Tractors Owned: 2 Farmall Cubs
SN 42113 (1948)
SN 93258 (1949)
Kubota LA5740 (cab)
Ford 3000

valve seat cutter question

Postby jimbaker » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:23 pm

I am considering buying one of the Neway Valve seat cutter kits. I am a bit of a tool junkie, have 2 cubs to do, one right now (the engine is apart on the bench) and the other eventually, so buying the kit is just fine. My question is that in reading the forum, I noticed most postings that deal with using the seat cutters cut a 3 angle profile. Originally, I believe the cub just had a single 45 degree cut. I am aware of the flow benefit in automotive applications of the 3 angle cut, but is it necessary and/or that beneficial in a cub? This is a pretty under rated engine, and inasmuch as the cutters are about $65 for each angle, and it seems like a but of an overkill to 3 angle the valves when the rest of the intake/exhaust is so restrictive. I am wondering if the single 45 degree cut would be sufficient.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: valve seat cutter question

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:42 pm

I cannot answer your question, but do not overlook the fact that a cubs valve seats are cast as part of the head and not very hard. if they need much work they have to be cutout and new seats installed, You may want to think about the cutter head needed for that.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cecil » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:12 am

I have a neway set and I use the 45 degree on all my valve jobs. I have done may and have never had a problem.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:17 am

I cut all 3 angles. Seat area extending beyond the valve face area will often cause valve face erosion (ie burned valve), it's more about narrowing the seats than it is about performance. I suppose a Cub engine may not care that much but failure to narrow the seats on an automotive application is a sure recipe for a do-over. Yes, the cutters are expensive, I watched e-bay until I found a used set I could justify.

Alan Riley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71328

Postby Alan Riley » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:47 am

I also cut all 3 angles using a Neway set. It cut the hardened seats just fine but I still lapped the valves to the seats to be certain of a good seal.
Old Age: The phase of life when nothing works and everything hurts...

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:04 am

I have done many valve jobs on stationary natural gas engines, very similar to a cub but much larger (12-16" bore). I was taught to do an included angle, meaning the seat is like 45.5 and the valve is 45. ideally the contact pattern is high on the seat in the head and low on the face of the valve. since the angles are different this will provide a very narrow seat contact pattern. also as it wears the wear contact point will go up the face of the valve and down the face of the seat giving you a longer live. I never used carbide cutters always just a stone and stone dressing tool. I would guess and check with a blue check on my first valve till I got my grinding wheel dressing tool just perfect then I ground all the seats. I hope that helps. a picture would be worth a 1000 words here.....

Return to “Farmall Cub”