This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

HELP leaking coolant from intake after fresh rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kx1255
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18229
Tractors Owned: 1963 farmall cub

HELP leaking coolant from intake after fresh rebuild

Postby kx1255 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:40 pm

I have a 63 farmall cub
2.5 years ago I decided to split it, get the engine done with everything new inside, and replace every gasket and seal on the tractor. I started reassembly a couple weeks ago cleaning and painting peice by peice. I filled it with coolant today, start and runs great. I shut it off parked it in the garage and come back later to find coolant dripping from carb. I removed the manifold and the intake ports are soaked with coolant. Headgasked? Cracks? I doubt after 2.5 years the machine shop is even going to want to hear about it.
ANY SUGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: HELP leaking coolant from intake after fresh rebuild

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:24 pm

Do you know if the machine shop magnafluxed the block to check for cracks before machining? Did you spray the head gasket with Copperkote and coat the head bolts with a sealant on the threads? AND welcome to the Forum.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

kx1255
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby kx1255 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi Bob
No I don't know if he magnafluxed it. I just pulled the head off and there is a copper looking something on both sides of the gasket but is looks like regular neversieze on the bolt threads.
looks like the exhaust is leaking between the cylinders on the head in between by where the valves are.
im going to go over there tomorrow and see if he did magnaflux it like you said, I guess this is what you get for not having time to finish it huh.
thanks again Bob. Ill let you know how I made out.
63 farmall cub

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:35 pm

You might also want to find out if the head/block were shaved and what the head bolts were torqued to.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:53 am

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas, and good luck with the leak, hope it is something simple like Bob suggest. Always look for the simple things first.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

kx1255
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby kx1255 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:37 pm

Thank you Mr. McCarty for your help with this matter.
It looks like I have it squared away. After pulling the head I cleaned out the coolant from the cylinders, checked the block with a straight edge and was good, I vissibly saw no cracks. I took the head to the machine shop where it was pressure tested and shaved by 10 thousands to make it flat again. I cleaned the neversieze from the bolt holes, tapped them, and used the copper coat on both sides of the head gasket. I also used permatex flexible thread sealant on the new head bolts when I torqed down in sequence starting with 25lbs, 35lbs, 45lbs and again to 47lbs. I just wanted to make sure it went down flat and even. Finished re-assembling filled with coolant whela runs with no more leak. I just have to set all of little things like timing, high and low rpms, adjust govornor.
I do have a uestion about setting rpms, and using a timing light.
1 what is the best thing to use on a 6v pos ground to get rpms acurately?
2 I have a timing light for a 12v car, will that work on 6v pos ground and would I hook it up backwards ar the same way I would put it on a 12v neg ground car?
red on + or -?
Thanks in advance for the answers
and thank you for those who have helped me!!!!!!
63 farmall cub

kx1255
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby kx1255 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Ohh. Machine shop was out of bussiness and no where to be found
63 farmall cub

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:56 pm

just use a 12 volt battery to power the timing light and it will work fine on your cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:56 pm

Use a 12 volt battery to power your timing light. External battery or jumper cables from a 12 volt vehicle or tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:43 am

Don't forget to retorque after run in.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:15 pm

For measuring rpm's the [url]best[/url] way is to get one of the hand held ones from fleabay. However, I bought an inexpensive ($10 or $15 IIRC) Equus brand tach-dwell meter from Pep Boys or AutoZone or some such and it works well enough for me. Just remember to hook the positive clip to ground rather than the negative. It is also helpful for double checking that the points gap is correct without disassembling the distributor.

For the timing light, I again have an inexpensive Equus timing light, and as long as the crank pulley is in shadow, it is bright enough just hooked up to Eddie's 6v battery, so try that before lugging another battery out there.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:28 pm

The machine shop may have removed the manifold studs. They screw right into the water jackets. there are two things you can do. 1 is to drain the antiefreeze for the summer and run plain water. theis will rust the threads and stop the seeping. the 2nd thing you can do is to remove the manifold then remove the studs. put a sealer on the threads. if you are still getting coolent after you do this then there maybe a crack in a valve guide bore. The only other thing it could be a inferrior foreign made head gasket.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Return to “Farmall Cub”