This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

23A harrow disk on hydraulics?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44656

23A harrow disk on hydraulics?

Postby RickB » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:28 am

Have any of you tried chaining a 23A 4 gang disk to the hydraulics? I would like to transport mine back to the field without tearing up my lawn and dragging the disk down our gravel road. I haven't found any info on lifting these disks off the ground. My '63 Cub hydraulics run off a rockshaft rod to the back of the tractor.
Thanks for any advice!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: 23A harrow disk on hydraulics?

Postby tmays » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:51 am

When I have my 23A set with no angle, I can hardly tell that it's been run across the yard. It definitely doesn't cut the dirt. I'm not crazy about running it on gravel, however. I have run it on gravel a short distance and haven't noticed any problems
Thomas

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:00 am

What Thomas said! When set at zero angle, it won't hurt the yard. It will make a lot of racket on the gravel road but won't really hurt anything.

RickB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RickB » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:49 am

OK. I will try it. The angle adjuster is pretty rusted. I can't move it by hand. Does it only respond to adjusting when the tractor is pulling it or backing up?

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:06 am

RickB wrote:....... I can't move it by hand. Does it only respond to adjusting when the tractor is pulling it or backing up?
Never even thought about trying it by hand that's a lot of weight to move. Use a rope to lift and hold up the latch while you're on the tractor, then pull forward to adjust the disk, sometimes I have to pop the clutch just a bit to get the latch to start sliding instead of the disk just rolling. You should be able to back up and the latch will slide up the saw teeth to get to transport (no angle). Some tractors have a little metal tab with a hole on one corner of the seat pan mount. That's to tie the other end of the rope. NEVER tie the rope directly to the seat or tab, use a small piece of wire with a hook through the hole. You want the rope to be able to disconnect if the disk comes unhooked so it doesn't pull the seat out from under you or the rope snaps and comes back and hits you in the back of the head. :shock: :x

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:08 am

Believe that's the only way to reset the angle of attack. For reverse, pull up on rope/latch and run it a very short distance in reverse and it should set the disks at zero angle.

I need to do some tweeking on mine. When it's supposed to be set at zero, it's not quite there... :?

EDIT: Scrivet's faster on the draw and got in ahead of me! Good advice.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:30 am

Definitely get out the Kroil or PB Blaster and hose down the mechanism.

There is no way the Cub hydraulics are going to lift that entire disk, sticking that far out behind.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:37 am

I agree with the others, the one I owned had to be backed up in soft ground to get it to the ZERO angle so it would pull. You could see the marks in grass, but they disappeared in a day or two. On the gravel pull it slowly, and move over to the grass as soon as possible. It is so heavy and extends so far to the rear I am pretty sure the front of a cub would come off the ground before the 23A does. An alternative would be a flat bead trailer and a come-a-long to pull it up onto the trailer.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

RickB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RickB » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:13 am

Really good advice! I wondered if it might pull the front of the tractor up. As you can all tell this equipment is new to me. Got a package deal, and for the most part it has all been working pretty well. I am learning as I go, and making repairs. You guys on this forum have helped a lot! Thanks!

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:45 am

I have pulled a disk like that over my yard (set at zero angle) on purpose to areate.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:03 am

RickB wrote: I am learning as I go, and making repairs. You guys on this forum have helped a lot!

Rick, The guys here are fantastic and are willing to help anytime they are called upon. If you can fit it into your schedule, try to attend the Barnyard Bash Cubfest west of Cincinnati May 30th and 31st. Many of the regulars from this forum will be there. It is a great time to learn much about Cubs and the associated implements, as well as work on your Cub if you need help and want to bring it along. You will meet great folks, have a great meal and have plenty of fun, and it's all free. Many of the guys will have their wives and will attend both days. Some of the guys are coming from Missouri, Louisiana, Colorado, Florida etc, etc, so your four hour drive is a piece of cake. I hope we can see you there.

Check it out here www.barnyardbash.com
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

RickB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RickB » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi Barnyard. I wanted to go to that, but have a commitment I cannot break that weekend. I am planning on the CubTug in Somerset in August. Thanks for the heads up.

Return to “Farmall Cub”