Flanged bushing for steering box

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:09 pm

This bushing looks like a top hat with the top cut out. The replacement that Case/IH sells runs $75. I'm wondering if it would work to use a bronze bushing and bronze thrust washer in place of the one piece bushing. Any thoughts? Also, has anyone found a suitable replacement for the steel split bushing?

Thanks, Bob

Re: Flanged bushing for steering box

Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:28 am

We need to check with farmertan and see what he could produce them for. I might still have one around if I can think of it.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:28 am

I have a new one the shelf if anyone needs dimensions.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:58 am

Bob, I can't think of any reason that a bushing and thrust washer wouldn't work. If you have the measurements, you might check what McMaster carr has to offer.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:01 am

It seems like someone was going to attempt to make some of those a wile back but i can remember who it was

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:34 pm

I do not remember what the length is of the bushing but it is a 1.125" ID and a 1.375" OD with a 0.125" thick flange. It was a standard off the shelf Oilite bushing at the local bearing supply house, cost less than $20, I want to say less than $15 but I can't find the receipt.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:46 pm

I do not have an riginal bushing for a sample, but McMaster-Karr has a large assortment of flanged bushings.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-flanged-bushings/=rrmc83

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:49 pm

I looked briefly in the repair manual I have and they look pretty simple to make. I have my cub apart so I will get the bushing and try to make some. I might even try to make some out of UHMWPE, a type of high density plastic. They should last a long time it is similar to the material that the plastic wheel bushings are made from they use in some of the new riding mowers

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:00 pm

John, McMaster has them for 1" and 1 1/4" shaft diameters. This one is 1 1/8". That's why I was looking at doing the combination. Criswell, if you could give me contact info for them or a part # and brand if there is any chance you have those.

Bob

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:18 pm

Bob,
I can't find where I put the receipt from when I bought all the bushings for the front axle/steering, that is why I can't remember what the length is of the bushing. The 1.125" x 1.375" flange bushing comes in three lengths, 0.750", 1.000" and 1.250" and I can't remeber if it was the 0.750 or the 1.000", I don't think it was the 1.250" long one. Either way here are the numbers for the bushing from the Oilite catalog:

FF-1314-1 this is 0.750" in length
FF-1314-2 this is 1.000" in length
FF-1314-3 this is 1.250" in length

If you can't find one at a bearing supply house locally just let me know and I can drop by the one here and pick one up for you

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:23 pm

It's 1" to the inside edge of the flange, so I'll have to look and see how they measure length.

Thanks, Bob

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:42 pm

That would make it the FF-1314-2, 1.000" in length.

Thu May 01, 2014 5:41 am

farmertan can make them, will just have to see what the total cost is. He is an excellent machinist and has the necessary tools.

Thu May 01, 2014 7:01 am

Well I found the receipt for the bushings for the steering and it was less than $20 for all three. The upper bushing, lower bushing (flanged) and the thrust washer. Here is a link for Motion Industries, not where I got the Oilite bushings I used but I have dealt with the company in the past and their price is right on the mark:

http://www.motionindustries.com/motion3 ... %26+Sleeve

Thu May 01, 2014 7:11 am

Criswell wrote:Well I found the receipt for the bushings for the steering and it was less than $20 for all three. The upper bushing, lower bushing (flanged) and the thrust washer. Here is a link for Motion Industries, not where I got the Oilite bushings I used but I have dealt with the company in the past and their price is right on the mark:

http://www.motionindustries.com/motion3 ... %26+Sleeve

Criswell,

Since you found the receipt, can you give us the part numbers for the upper bushing and thrust washer as well? Thanks.