This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Magneto Rebuilder

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pferguson1962
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76513

Magneto Rebuilder

Postby pferguson1962 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:09 am

I'm looking for someone who repairs or rebuilds magentos. I've got a '48 cub with magneto and no spark. I've replaced the coil with another one given to me by a older guy who sold me a replacement carb. He said it was good. I just don't understand a whole lot about them and hate to keep throwing new parts at it to see if I can get it to working (or not...). Up to this pint I have replaced the coil, dist cap, points and condenser. Still waiting on the rotor to show up.
Any advice or references of someone who can look at the mag and tell me what is wrong would be appreciated.

Thanks Paul

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Magneto Rebuilder

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:28 am

We have a few members that know all about mags, I am sure hey will chime in.
If you are in a rush check around at your local small airport. There is usually a mag repair shop close by.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:58 am

Send a PM to Rick Spivey. He's very good at doing the rebuilds.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:44 pm

rebuilding a mag is not typically needed. In some cases the magnets need recharged. You mentioned you replaced the coil. was it a used coil? It could have been faulty also. I have also had new coils that were faulty. I would sugges geting a new coil. and replace the points and condensor also. Keep inmind that all or most of the aftermarket points need to have the contacts filed. There seems to be a hard clear coating on them that prevents good contacting. The rotor has to be timed correctly also or you will never get spark to the plugs
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Return to “Farmall Cub”