What kind of wiring setup is this?

Thu May 01, 2014 9:44 am

Hi folks! New 1948 Cub owner and N00b.
I'm not sure what kind of wiring setup I have here. I hope some of you guys can tell me.
You can't see it in the picture but it looks like it has an alternator instead of a generator.

coil1.jpg

Thanks!

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TNMike on Thu May 01, 2014 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: What kind of wiring setup is this?

Thu May 01, 2014 9:55 am

I can only assume it has a 12 volt battery now and it looks like the gen has been replaced with an alt. I'd bet whoever did this conversion decided it was cheaper and/or easier to leave the 6 volt coil in place and use a voltage reducer ( 12V to 6V ) . It should perform well this way, but, if the coil ever fails I'd replace it with a 12V. Hope this helps, I'm wrong as often as I'm right. Tom.

Thu May 01, 2014 10:14 am

Its is very common the wiring situation you have. It has been converted to 12 volt. It has a magneto that has been converted to run on a external coil and requires a ballast resistor to keep the voltage near 6 voilt or it will burn the points.

Thu May 01, 2014 10:22 am

Looks like the guys have pretty well covered your question, other than to say it is not a very neat job.

Thu May 01, 2014 11:53 am

Thanks y'all! I'm sure I'll have more questions the deeper I get into it.

Fri May 02, 2014 4:26 am

And welcome to the forum from Arkansas. You've found the right place for good cub information.

Fri May 02, 2014 7:25 am

There will be one at KANSAS Cubfest just like it. Come take a look.