This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub valve guide removal-cheap and easy

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fl37
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 96021
Tractors Owned: 2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Cub valve guide removal-cheap and easy

Postby fl37 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:43 pm

I'm restoring my 1948 Cub. Got to the point where the valve work has to be done. The guides were too worn so they had to come out.
Used a socket head screw (fits a 1/4" bit), a cheap Harbor Freight drift that fits fairly tightly into the socket, and my BFH.
A few whacks on the top of the guide and they're out.
No visible harm to the block.
I was more worried about the drift slipping and possibly contacting
the lip of the valve set. Fortunately that didn't happen.

IMG_3777 (Small).JPG
IMG_3777 (Small).JPG (64.51 KiB) Viewed 207 times

I busted one of those drifts off in the socket head with a misaligned hit. No problem, just picked up another drift and finished the job.
The guides on the exhaust valves seems to be a little more difficult to bang out of the block than the guides on the intake valves, but that was not a show stopper.

Hope this helps

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Alan Riley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71328

Re: Cub valve guide removal-cheap and easy

Postby Alan Riley » Fri May 09, 2014 9:42 pm

I used a brass drift when I removed the old guides and installed the new ones.
Old Age: The phase of life when nothing works and everything hurts...

Return to “Farmall Cub”