noisy transmission

Sun May 11, 2014 10:08 pm

I have had very good luck with the following . drain the transmission, fill ( fill to the correct level , *** check manuals for the "how to" *** ) with diesel , runaround the "block" a few times , drain the tranny , refill with diesel , run around the block a few times , drain again , then fill with 80/90 gear oil or hi-tran . it is amazing how much "noise " can be eliminated . Don't forget to engage the pto while riding around the block . coppersmythe.............................................ps: you may not need that tranny rebuild :{_}:

Re: noisy transmission

Mon May 12, 2014 6:46 am

Cool! I guess they prefer gear oil to watered down sludge. I'll have to do that myself.

Fri May 16, 2014 8:56 am

? would used automatic transmissin fluid work the same?

Sat May 17, 2014 8:50 pm

Good observation and tip. I wonder if it helped yours out because of a certain reason the tranny was noisy, or if it would work in most all cases?

Sat May 17, 2014 9:29 pm

my tranny is noisy,i have not tried any of the above as yet but i have heard that used automatic tranny fluid can help free up a stuck engine.has anyone tried this method?

Sat May 17, 2014 9:42 pm

follow the procedure above , it will not hurt a thing , so trying it can only help . coppersmythe........................PS: I have used this technique on several trannys , all have benifited . :{_}: I cannot answer to "used" auto tranny fluid , but it will only cost a few dollars for the diesel , as opposed to the cost of a rebuild , and as "click and clack " the tappet brothers say , " ITS THE CHEAP MAN THAT PAYS THE MOST " !

Sat May 17, 2014 9:52 pm

i have a few gallons of used auto tranny fluid,i was wondering if it would work as well as diesel fuel ?

Sat May 17, 2014 9:57 pm

I would not use it for this application , the tranny is second only to the engine , far too important to scrimp . its a one time deal , well worth the few bucks , coppersmythe................................................

Sat May 17, 2014 10:47 pm

jiw1 wrote:i have a few gallons of used auto tranny fluid,i was wondering if it would work as well as diesel fuel ?

The purpose of the diesel fuel is to clean the sludge, not loosen the tranny. I doubt used trans fluid will make a very good cleansing agent. You only need $4.00 worth of fuel to make two rinses. Cheap insurance.

Sun May 18, 2014 6:34 am

Barnyard wrote:You only need $4.00 worth of fuel to make two rinses. Cheap insurance.

Even less if you get off-road diesel.

Sun May 18, 2014 9:38 am

yup,i see your point, when great minds get together it makes a difference.it was not the dollor amount,i was just looking for another opinion.thank you again

Wed May 21, 2014 9:37 pm

I use 140 in mine,---BUT I dont run them in winter/cold weather either! thanks; sonny

Thu May 22, 2014 7:01 am

Thanks, coppersmythe. Good to know. :coffee: