This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Low Compression

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clownfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36578
Tractors Owned: 49 Farmall Cub
1959 Farmall Cub
2005 Massey Ferguson 1528
Circle of Safety: Y

Low Compression

Postby Clownfish » Mon May 12, 2014 7:24 am

The photos below show the current status of my restoration. The engine was bored to .040 oversize and new valves, pistons, rings etc. were installed by a local machine shop about 3 months ago. While installing the governor and magneto I have noticed that there is very little compression when turned over using the hand crank. It is very difficult to feel any compression with your finger when trying to set the # 1 cylinder at TDC. I have not yet primed the oil pump but I did add a small amount of oil through the spark plug hole. The valves have been set to .015. Is it normal not to have compression at this stage and will it go up when I get the oil pump primed and use the electric starter? If I have a problem I want to know it before I get everything reassembled.
IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG (401.25 KiB) Viewed 554 times
IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG (436.59 KiB) Viewed 554 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Low Compression

Postby Eugene » Mon May 12, 2014 7:35 am

You should have compression at this point. The problem is that when cranking the engine over by hand the compression will be lower than if you were using the starter.

Put a tablespoon of engine oil on top of each piston. Rotate engine over by hand 3 or 4 times. Then see if you have compression, use compression tester.

On a fresh overhaul you should see around 120 psi when cranking the engine over with the starter.

Prime the oil pump - first thing. Priming the oil pump will not help the compression issue.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon May 12, 2014 10:14 am

Compression will probably be lower than 120, possibly much lower, because the rings have not seated yet. That will happen with some run time, and especially some work.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon May 12, 2014 10:24 am

Every time that I have had my engine apart, I have had to pull start it to build enough compression to make it run. Once I did that the first time, POOF...started on the first pull of the starter every time after that...
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Clownfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36578
Tractors Owned: 49 Farmall Cub
1959 Farmall Cub
2005 Massey Ferguson 1528

Postby Clownfish » Mon May 12, 2014 10:52 am

I put more oil in each cylinder and using the hand crank the compression is better but not good. Nos 1 & 4 are about 30-35 psi No 2 is 60 and No 3 is 100. I primed the oil pump and it seems to be pumping good. Later today after my battery is charged I'll try using the starter for about 30 Sec and see if the compression improves. If nothing changes I guess I'll just wait until it is ready to crank and if it won't start I'll try pulling it to get it started. Thanks for the info that this situation isn't unusual. At least I won't worry about it at this time.

Glenn

Return to “Farmall Cub”