This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbie Question(s)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
seabeelt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02878
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub

Re: Newbie Question(s)

Postby seabeelt » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:03 pm

WOW :shock: the coil was definitely toast. Once I took it out of the mag there was a bunch of melted coil goo all over the magnets and internal shaft. Took me a couple of hours with acetone and cotton swabs to get all that stuff out of there. Re assembled and reinstalled on the tractor. We have consistent spark :{_}: It doesn't jump 1/4 inch, but will jump a gap slightly larger than the plug gap. Put the rebuilt carb back on and did get it to run for a bit. Still not great but making progress. :)
R/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

seabeelt
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 Farmall Cub

Postby seabeelt » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:49 am

Update. Tractor is still sitting in the field all this time and I'm just getting back around to it. Time sure does fly. In my last post the magneto coil was toast and I have replaced that. The tractor will start occasionally but only run for a few seconds and then has a hard time even starting again. Almost like the original symptoms. Took the carb off did the standard rebuild, idle jet, little thin tube everyone breaks, needle and seat, gaskets around the butterfly, the works. The tractor still presents the same symptoms. Needs moderate to full choke to start then runs while playing with the choke until it seems to have emptied the fuel bowl. Put a clear tube on the carb drain plug to monitor fuel level in the bowl. Tractor seems to draw the fuel in the tube down quote a bit, especially when choked, it will draw it all out. Static level seems to be about 5/8" from the top of the bowl, but I haven't been able to look at it with the tractor running so I cannot tell if the fuel is being maintained where it should be. If I put the clear tube straight down fuel pours out like no tomorrow, so I know that there are no fuel line blockages going from the tank into the carb. With all new carb internals and having been cleaned with carb cleaner and an air hose, I know that there are no internal carb passages that are blocked.

Static timing is dead on, points are gapped correctly..

I'm truly stumped here. Any other suggestions would be most welcome. Intermittent electrical problem???
R/

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:36 pm

Did you adjust the float level as a part of your carburetor work?

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

seabeelt
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 Farmall Cub

Postby seabeelt » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Yes, I did, and it seems at least out of the carb to be exactly as the diagram measurements
R/

seabeelt
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 Farmall Cub

Postby seabeelt » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:08 pm

Guys, I would pull my hair out if I had any left. So I took the newly rebuilt carb and put it on the other tractor. It works fine. So back to electrical????. I replaced the coil in the magneto. Points are at .013. Disconnected the wire from the mag. Still same symptoms. ARGGGG!!!!!

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Postby offrink » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:31 pm

So if you have fuel and spark properly getting the right place at the right time in the right amounts there is only one more thing it needs and that is air. Are you getting enough air to the engine?

seabeelt
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 Farmall Cub

Postby seabeelt » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:03 pm

I believe so, I have tried it with the air filter on an off of the carb. Seems like when it does start it needs a lot of choke and will only run for a very short time.
R/

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:01 pm

When you had the carb off did you check to make sure the screen in the gas inlet was clean? Was the needle easily falling when you'd turn the float upside down? Do you know for sure that you are getting adequate flow out of the gas tank and that there isn't any blockage in the sediment bowl or stand pipe up into the gas tank?

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

seabeelt
10+ Years
10+ Years
1953 Farmall Cub

Postby seabeelt » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:55 pm

Bob, float rattles in the carb if you turn it upside down and back again, inlet screen is clean. If I take the drain plug out of the bottom of the carb, gas will run freely and you can see the small disturbance of the gas moving in the sediment bowl. Ran a good pint of gas through there just to make sure.
R/

Return to “Farmall Cub”