This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Highway Cub at Junkyard

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Highway Cub at Junkyard

Postby Hengy » Wed May 14, 2014 2:20 pm

Hi all...

Just made a quick (if you can call it that) trip to our local tractor boneyard, Burgh Implement in Harmony, PA to pick up some parts. No great bargains there as the guy is well aware of what the parts are worth, but it was there, quick, and all I needed was my own wrench to remove the parts.

While I was there, I happened upon a modified loboy for "highway duty" complete with two speed reducers, rearward turned final drives, extra large tires on front (appear original by the diamonds on the sides). I didn't have time to look around, but I would imagine that they would have had some kind of mowing attachment laying around someplace nearby. It is sad because this tractor is just sitting out there and rotting away. I'd have asked the guy how much he wanted for the tractor, but based on the prices of his parts, he would have asked too much for my budget anyhow.

Is there any data on how many of these have been built?

Burgh's is a shame, though. So many good parts just sitting out there rusting away. Transmissions uncovered and filled with water and rusty. It's a shame really...

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Re: Highway Cub at Junkyard

Postby Clark Thompson » Wed May 14, 2014 5:30 pm

I use to deal with Burghs a long time ago when the Charlie ( old man ) was still alive. BUt since Charlie died and his son John took over I was never able to deal with him. He would quote me a price.I would go remove the part have it on the truck and he would say wow thats in better shape than I though and would usually try and doubble the price. Last time I was there he tried to pull that one me so I rolled the part off the truck in his drive. Never been back since. :lol:
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu May 15, 2014 8:15 am

Yeah, they certainly price their parts on the high side for sure. Its a shame really because most of what they are selling now is just one step up from scrap. I looked over probably 15 cubs to find the part that I wanted, and 14 of them were all rusted and mostly unusable. The one I bought was no peach, but it was serviceable, so I bucked it up and took it home. They have some really old tractors there in the graveyard, but most of them are so rusted over that the work required to bring any part back to serviceable condition would be just prohibitive.

That being said, it is really neat being around all of that old iron...

Mike
Image Image

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Postby SundaySailor » Thu May 15, 2014 8:38 am

Interesting you guys would mention Burgh's. My Cub's front end came from there. I ordered it and had it shipped to me back in 2010 as I remember.

Cost me $250.00 including shipping. It did have a fair amount of rust, but it was definitely a very good condition set of front axles, spindles, hubs, etc.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu May 15, 2014 8:49 am

They are nice folks and have just about everything (implements, too), but I would definitely recommend looking the part over before you buy for sure.
Image Image

Return to “Farmall Cub”