Re: Sludge

Fri May 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:Unconfirmed rumor, Pennsylvania oil is NG, especially Quaker State.

I doubt that much, if any, of the oil in Quaker State or Pennzoil bottles comes from the Keystone State. :D

Fri May 16, 2014 8:09 pm

When it was time for an oil change in the semi I used to drive, I would always stop about a hundred miles from home and pump 2 - 3 gallons of diesel in the crankcase. About two hours later I'd pull into the shop and pull the oil plug and let it drain overnight. I don't think it hurt anything and when I'd tear it down to do an in frame overhaul after about 350,000 miles everything was clean. Of coarse I used high detergent oil back then. Just sharing my method of keeping a clean engine. It won't be nearly as nasty spraying up into the bottom of your engine. Tom.

Sat May 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Tezell,I know you know to clean the pipe from the motor to the breather,just a comment that might help someone else. Rick

Sat May 17, 2014 7:28 pm

If did some digging, you would find that shell oil makes rotella t, Quaker state, and pennzoil. My dad retired from the Exxon refinery in Baton Rouge, and helped in the bottling plant next door. Depending on what contracts they had at the time, they bottled Exxon, castrol, havoline, and a lot of major brands for this region. The base stock oils used for all the oils were the same, but the additive packages were different.

Hank

Sat May 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Quaker state oil years ago was a paraffin base oil that's why it gummed up every thing they quit the paraffin in the 80s.

Sun May 18, 2014 7:39 am

not to hi-jack , but I worked at colonial sugars in the late '70s , Winn-Dixie , colonial , a & p , ect. were all bagged from the same chute , and sitting next to each other on pallets in the wharehouse :wink: . yet , in the stores they were different prices and some were "improved" :lol: . I've heard the quaker state story since the '70s , maybe way back before then ,who knows ( the parrafin sounds plausible ? ) . I place a lot of those storys along with the carburetor that gets 150 mpg ( on a '70s era V-8 :shock: )that " esso " ( exxon now ) bought the rights to , and hid , so they could sell more gas . :wink: coppersmythe.................................................

Sun May 18, 2014 10:13 am

JRICK wrote:Tezell,I know you know to clean the pipe from the motor to the breather,just a comment that might help someone else. Rick

I've had my Cub for a year and haven't touched that yet. Next on my to-do list.

Re: Sludge.....Gone!!

Sun May 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Talk about a nasty task. I have got sludge all over me and everything around me!!!

I just pressure washed it out and then sprayed some brake cleaner in it to dissipate the mositure. Didn't take long just very very messy. I am going to let it dry out for a few days before I button it back up and add new oil.

Glad that is over :-:-): :worthy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun May 18, 2014 1:27 pm

Now that you have the sludge pressure washed off the tractor, how long will it take to get it off you? :lol:

Sun May 18, 2014 1:37 pm

Next Saturday is bath time. He'll get it then.

:lol: :lol:

Sun May 18, 2014 5:22 pm

mr. E , I wish you would have run over there and video-taped that one , :shock: :shock: :shock: coppersmythe.................................ps: Tezel, I hope you didn't tuck your rainsuit legs inside your rubber boots ....

Sun May 18, 2014 6:20 pm

Eugene wrote:
Crankcase, drain the oil an let drain over night. Then over fill the crankcase with 3 gallons of kerosene or diesel fuel, which ever is cheapest. Shake the tractor good. Let set for several hours, shake again. Do this for a couple of days. Shake the tractor good for one last time then immediately drain crankcase.

By 'shake' I gather you mean to start and run it a bit, Eugene? How long?

Sun May 18, 2014 6:28 pm

DON'T run the engine without oil. Rock the Cub back and forth to splash the diesel or kerosene around, then drain.

Bob

Sun May 18, 2014 6:39 pm

Posco wrote:
Eugene wrote:
Crankcase, drain the oil an let drain over night. Then over fill the crankcase with 3 gallons of kerosene or diesel fuel, which ever is cheapest. Shake the tractor good. Let set for several hours, shake again. Do this for a couple of days. Shake the tractor good for one last time then immediately drain crankcase.

By 'shake' I gather you mean to start and run it a bit, Eugene? How long?
No. Do not run the engine with kerosene or diesel fuel in the crankcase.

By shake, I mean shake, jostle, the entire tractor sideways to slosh the solvent around.

Ya. What Bob said.

Sun May 18, 2014 7:26 pm

Got it. I'm not sure I can shake fifteen hundred pounds but I'll give it a shot. Thanks, guys.