This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clumsy Clutch Work

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Wilkinson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49445

Clumsy Clutch Work

Postby John Wilkinson » Sun May 18, 2014 9:57 am

Help! I'm drowning, not waving! When I do something foolish and stall my Cub during operation, I cannot get it to restart until it is cold. It behaves as though it is flooded. I timed my magneto to TDC (it was off by one tooth...), rebuilt the carburetor, and changed the plugs. She starts beautifully when cold (summer temps, without choke). I do notice that the starter pinion disengages kind of quickly, as in on the first sound of a cylinder firing. One solution would be to never stall my tractor. As I try new implements or find myself in different conditions stalling seems to be part of my learning curve, that and my tendency to step on the brake to raise the engine speed. Old dog, new trick...

Thanks,

John, dba Frustrated, Incorporated

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Clumsy Clutch Work

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun May 18, 2014 10:58 am

Next time it dies check for nice blue spark at plugs. Could be coil going bad.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun May 18, 2014 11:21 am

Agree with Mike. Either faulty magneto coil or magneto is not perfectly timed to engine.

Check the magneto timing, static timing, impulse coupling trip point at TDC.

Also roll cold engine over to TDC #1 cylinder, and check to see where the rotor pointer is headed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun May 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Also, when you stall it have you tried choking. Anytime I stall mine from a load I usually have to choke them to restart.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sun May 18, 2014 4:51 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Also, when you stall it have you tried choking. Anytime I stall mine from a load I usually have to choke them to restart.

:Dito:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Thehiwayman
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 04027
Tractors Owned: 1950 Demonstration Model Cub

Postby Thehiwayman » Mon May 19, 2014 6:26 am

Hi John,

I am by no means an expert on Cubs I've only owned mine for a few weeks...so I'm not trying to sound like a pro here but when I first purchased mine I had the same hard starting if it was hot...

The old owner told me it just had a certain way it liked to be started... and I do know that due to my 1941 dodge...she has a routine...as a lot of old iron does...anyways,

My cub had that same quick didengagement of the starter bendix as you mentioned. I equate that to the engine firing, enginge rpm comes up briefly and it disengages?

I was also told DONT! leave the fuel petcock on for any length of time if its just sitting... I assume the needle and seat is leaking past and flooding, this could be compounded with a hot enginge under the fuel tank...vaporizing fuel and a partialy plugged vent hole would cause this to be worse...

I found out that I was flooded a few times after forgeting to shut the petcock off... I would pull the air inlet and it was ponded with fuel...so I do need to adress this problem...each time this happened my plugs were wet and fouled.

also, I pulled my cap and rotor and cleaned the contacts in the cap and rotor arm with emry cloth...carfull to clean out any grit...this really made a difference!
cleaned my petcock bowl as well...

I know you said you worked on the carb so you may not have any carb issue at all i'm just giving you another idea, after cleaning my cap and rotor I have had absolutely no starting issues at all. HOT or COLD i'm still surprised at how well my cub does fire up...sometimes the simplest thing are agood place to start...

best regards, Tim

Return to “Farmall Cub”