Governor timing and magneto

Sun May 18, 2014 1:44 pm

Hi , new to this site. I am trying to time the governor on this cub. It was running when I dimantled the tractor to replace the bolster which did not make it through the winter because of not enough anti freeze. Thought I would take every thing off the engine and repaint it while I was at it. Well now it pops and sounds like a rod is knocking very badly. I know it must be in the timing. I did not remove the crank pulley or the timing gear. I did remove the governor. I have found a single dot punched on a tooth on the governor and found a single dot punched on the back side of the cam gear that you can see through the magneto side. But there is also two punch marks on the front of the cam gear. I have been told that the single dot on the governor tooth should go in between the two on the cam gear. I painted the two teeth so I could see them from the back as I was installing the governor so everything would line up. But this puts the top dead center mark on crank two and a half inches past pointer when the governor slots are at 2.00 o clock ;and 8'00. It just doesn't make sense. What is the single dot on the back ;side of the cam gear that you can see in the mag hole but gets rotated out of site when you line up the two marks on the cam gear to put the one punch mark on the governor in place. It just doesnt run. Please help me out. Thanks

Re: Governor timing and magneto

Sun May 18, 2014 7:55 pm

Newbie here but I just went through the same thing so until someone much more knowledgeable chimes in...

Did you have the #1 cylinder at TDC and with the pointer aimed at your pulley timing mark before you put the governor back in?
Did you yank the number one plug and feel for air being evacuated as you rotated the engine with the hand crank?

Sun May 18, 2014 9:00 pm

Is the ignition system: battery powered, magneto, or magneto with external coil?

Sun May 18, 2014 11:00 pm

it is one mark to one mark. Here is the illustration from the IH service manual. As eugene pointed out, that timing is critical for a magneto, but if you have a distributor you can work around it by pulling the T shaft out of the drive and resetting it.

Mon May 19, 2014 5:23 am

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas. This is a good place to spend a little time.

Mon May 19, 2014 9:43 am

Note, if the governor is timed right, the drive slots will be in this position when any piston is at TDC.

Mon May 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Thank you for all your replies. At first I had the two dots on the front of the cam gear with the governor one dot in the middle . That did not work. I pulled it back apart and found the one dot on the mag side of the cam gear and matched it with the one dot on the governor gear. Then the mark on the casting lined up with the 2 & 8 position for the mag. Yes I did have it on TDC with compression. Well it ;started right up and runs great. I am having a little issue with the governor adjustment speed but will figure it out. What a great web site foruum. Thanks again.

Mon May 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Check the shaft that goes across behind the radiator. It just slips into the fitting where the spring is on the governor, and is kept lined up by a key way. If it gets even a little wear in that joint it makes governor response sloppy.