This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

One rollover is enough, help me avoid another!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bbushnell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01730

Re: One rollover is enough, help me avoid another!

Postby bbushnell » Tue May 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Yes, I am very lucky and God above surely was protecting me this past weekend. I have learned a lot from all this advice, will make some adjustments to the tractor and listen more carefully to my gut. Like that tilt meter idea too. Thanks to everyone for posting responses!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Hengy » Tue May 20, 2014 12:24 pm

The biggest drawback of the Cub for sure is its "tippiness". Definitely have learned to follow my gut and not do anything that will make me queasy on a hill. There are two areas of my fields that require mowing on a side hill. I have learned my pattern well and don't deviate from it at all. That being said, I am still nervous when it comes time to mow that area, and I always save it for last.

Widening the stance of the rear wheels will help a lot to make it more stable on the hills, but won't do everything for sure.

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

bbushnell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bbushnell » Tue May 20, 2014 12:58 pm

In retrospect, knowing the hills I had, I should have found a cub lo-boy instead of the higher cub. My many years of experience on the lo-boy tells me they are a lot safer on the hills and a lot less tippy. My guess is that is why they designed and built it. Ya, it does not have the clearance, but it is easier to get unstuck from a stump or a stone than it is to upright a cub. Others may have found the same.

dmacarthur
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 05344

Postby dmacarthur » Tue May 20, 2014 1:36 pm

As another poster said earlier in this thread- always either straight up or straight down, never cross slope. The trouble with this, however, is that it relies on actual brakes on the way down! Glad you are OK......

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Tue May 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Our cub is set at 44" tread width with the exception of the right front axle being set out two extra holes for the belly plow. I would be very wary of minimum width setting. Also running parallel on a slope, engine on low side, and turning sharply uphill is a good way to roll over. Dad rolled his first cub that way.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue May 20, 2014 3:27 pm

dmacarthur wrote:As another poster said earlier in this thread- always either straight up or straight down, never cross slope. The trouble with this, however, is that it relies on actual brakes on the way down!
It's true the brakes on the Cub are not that great. However the brakes are sufficient to stop a Cub on a pretty good incline.

I use my Cub for light trailer work, up and down the slope. I use the same trailer when picking up rocks. But, I use a much larger tractor with better brakes because I can put a ton or more of rocks in the trailer - - and the Cub's brakes will not handle that much of a load on the incline.

I mow an incline about 50 foot long and it has around a 45 degree slope with my Cubs. Tractor in low gear or creeper gear (154) and start straight down the slope. Step on brakes to slow the tractors progression. Bottom of slope, drive around to the top and start over.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Tue May 20, 2014 7:36 pm

There was a time when I was less prudent than I am today...maybe there's still room for improvement...but when I climb the hill in my yard, I negotiate it straight up and straight down. Climbing up would be a really bad time to lose power. Bad things usually happen fast.

DieselDennis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39042
eBay ID: ccbil
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub (Great Granddaddy's)
And some bigger ones.....

Postby DieselDennis » Tue May 20, 2014 8:30 pm

bbushnell wrote:So I can get rear wheel weights and add them, but you suggest that rears are more important than front? Help me understand that?

I say the rears are more important than the front for two reasons:

1) Rear weights are heavier. I'm not sure about the numbers, but I believe rears are 150 lbs and fronts are only 40 lbs. It's just more weight.
2) Front axle pivots. Your tractor could begin tipping and both front wheels still be on the ground.

Anything you do to your Cub could be worthless without careful operation. And with careful operation, you could get by without any of the modifications. However, as keen as we all may be, physical modifications will always be there and help, whether we're thinking about the situation or not.
'48 Cub 12V Conversion, Zenith Carb, Electronic Ignition

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby danovercash » Tue May 20, 2014 9:19 pm

In my experience with a 2110 LCG Ford tractor on a steep hillside, do not use brakes, use lower gears. If the tractor decides to come off the hill, using the brakes will make the tires slide and you will not be able to stop. Let the tires turn and just steer. Kind of like driving on ice.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby danovercash » Tue May 20, 2014 9:21 pm

Some liquid ballast in the rears can be a good thing too.

bbushnell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bbushnell » Mon May 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Just a quick follow-up on my rollover and tractor adjustments.

We turned the rear wheels around so that the hubs are now at their widest possible distance. We added rear wheel weights. We (with a lot of trouble) got the front axles extended to their maximum setting. We had trouble getting the steering rods extended so I stole the steering rods off a parts cub I have and they worked. I used the tractor all weekend, taking care to keep the right side down hill on any of the more challenging slopes. This is a whole new tractor, and a much more careful and wise driver. Thanks to all for the help in getting this set up correctly.

Just one last question. How the heck do I free up the steering mechanism that runs to the front wheels (in front of the axle). I tried heating them, pulling them, and just could not get them to separate to accommodate the now greater distance between the two front wheels. Any ideas?

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon May 26, 2014 7:52 pm

Sounds like it's time to check out the "How To" Forum
Look under "Steering, Tires/Wheels and Weights"
Look for "Loosening Stubborn Tie Rods"
If that doesn't work to get them loose, I would put them under something and forget they ever existed :D

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu May 29, 2014 8:42 am

I approach my sloped area with me on the upside of the slope. This adds my body weight(330#)to the highest point of the tractor. It feels uncomfortable at first. But it works its using body English. Well that's what it's called on motorcycles. I also have all the wheel weights on too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Dell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49057

Postby Dell » Sat May 31, 2014 6:57 am

I bought these rear turf tires from Hamilton Bob off a 154. I mounted them in the wide position and they line up just a little inside my Woods 59 which is perfect. I like the wide stance for stability.

Hamilton Bob story:
I called Bob about these turf tires for my cub. All he had was a couple nice ones from a 154. They would work but not quite as tall with solid rims. That was fine with me, all I wanted was for them to hold air.
He was coming from Ohio up I-69 to Chicago on the weekend so I drove from Michigan to meet him at the x of 69 and 30.
Both tires fit in the huge trunk of my '87 Caprice and the trunk lid closed easily.
It was a smooth deal except that both tires went flat overnight. Over the next few days I tried valve cores, etc. to find the problem. Called Bob and he said he would take care of it. And he did! In a few days I received a check in the mail for half the selling price which was more than I expected or intended. Turns out I had to buy new tubes for both tires.
Hamilton Bob is one of the few businesses I would have no reservations in recommending.

I have mowed this ditch for years with the 154 turf tires on the rear of the cub with no real pucker factor. I usually keep the engine up hill just because it makes sense to do it that way.

Dell

Return to “Farmall Cub”