This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Magneto/Coil Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
1968ranger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43004
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

Magneto/Coil Question

Postby 1968ranger » Fri May 30, 2014 5:37 am

Hi Guys.. My 48 Cub is not starting. I checked to see if I had spark at the plugs and no luck. I then did a little research on the site and found out that you should have ground at the post on the magneto when the tractor isn't running. I checked and I have ground with the kill switch open or closed. I decided to remove the ignition wire and thought the tractor would start and no luck.. Bummer! I then checked the post with the wire removed and still have ground at the post. I then removed the magneto to see if I could find out why I was getting a ground on the mag post. I removed the points and condenser and still had a short between the post and the magneto case. Finally figured out I was getting ground from the coil. Is this normal? Do I have a bad coil? The coil wire and grommet look fine. As always, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Magneto/Coil Question

Postby Eugene » Fri May 30, 2014 7:33 am

1968ranger wrote:I was getting ground from the coil. Is this normal?
Yes
Do I have a bad coil?
Perhaps. Clean and gap the points. Put magneto back together and bench test it.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”