This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hay rake

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hay rake

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:39 pm

We pitch it loose on to the truck so I just pile it instead of windrows.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:49 am

Use the dump rake to drag it down near the woods and then pitch it over into the woods (or just say it's near enough :D ). Is there an opening in the trees where you could circle around into the woods a bit? You could drag half the field up by the road, making your return trip to the top of the hill more productive, and pitch it on a wagon and haul it down. Or do the one way thing for more seat time :{_}: . Definitely think the dump rake is the best tool to do what you want.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:35 am

Scrivet wrote: Definitely think the dump rake is the best tool to do what you want.

And the cheaper of the two options!

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

clintmo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:29 am

Ok, that's really cool, Barnyard! Definitely something I need to look into.

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:20 pm

I use a IH 14 rake with my Cub... The rake is a work in progress, but it works good. I rake in 2nd gear.

I have one area where I cut weeds, and then rake it all one direction... The side delivery rake works good, but it's not a real wide area, maybe 50'. I don't think I could move the windrows much farther than that... It's still a lot of looping around.
Attachments
IMG_0799.jpg
IMG_0799.jpg (162.47 KiB) Viewed 338 times
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:15 am

goldencub wrote:This thread reminds me of my father. The old house had a 4 acre field behind it left over from the 1800's-1900's farming. He wanted to keep the field looking good and not grown over. So, Dad would sell the hay to local farmers up until the late '30's. Then, he had to allow them to cut and take the hay for free until after the war. Then, he had to pay them to hay the field. That's when, around 1950, he bought the Cub and maintained the field himself --- well, along with me, who at that time was a teenager. We would argue as to who's turn it was to do the mowing.

We did not have a hay rake, so Dad's idea was to mow it (with a sickle bar mower) when the hay/grass was about 10" tall, and just let it lie there. It worked well. We would cut about 5 times a season. The first couple of years, after cutting, the remaining stalks were pretty sharp and hard to walk on. But then, it was more like long lawn grass - no spikes, beautiful green all summer, and we would have an annual family cookout and softball game on the field, and bare feet were the rule because the grass was so soft to step on, even after the mandatory mowing that we did a couple of days before the family gathering. Ah --- those were the good 'ol days!!!! And it was in Lee, MA, in the pretty Berkshire Hills. Al D

Jeez, Al. When I was a kid and living in south Florida where grass mowing of flat land prairie land was stickers and hot sun and sand and a hand-pushed whirl-a-gig grass mower, and my dad said he want the field (yes) cut, I didn't argue over who was going to do it...I knew it was me...and not once did I enjoy it. But I do love the sicklebar mower on the Cub cutting a bit of hillside and dale in the Berkshire hills. And I do use an old horse drawn hay to gather cut grass (which is stiff enough to require shoes, that's for sure). Nice memories you have there. Thanks.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:26 am

Regarding Barnyard's post on the use of the hay rake and pull rope --- that's what I do. However, I don't try for piles of hay. Instead, like Barnyard, I attempt to make windrows of dumped hay, then when done, we hook the cart to the Cub and the wife drives it alongside the windrows while I pitchfork the hay into the cart. Then the cart takes the hay to where we want to let it compost (it still being rough stuff with sticks and roses in it). Eventually we'd like to think of carting to the barn with quality hay and pitchforking it up into the loft. Funny thing, though, every year there's something that interferes with this grand plan.

Return to “Farmall Cub”