This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sickle bar stuck

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
marshall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01012
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub

Sickle bar stuck

Postby marshall » Fri May 30, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi:

I had my sickle bar attached to the 1950 Cub all winter. Now when I try to let it down (by detaching a retainer rod) the sickle bar doesn't lower.
I've tried oiling everything that looks like a moving part and see that things seem to be moving. I've tried tapping on stuff with a hammer to see if something is frozen in place. I've tried rotating the belt connected to the PTO but find that it just
tries to raise the sickle bar either way I turn the belt. From looking at the mechanism, I cannot figure out what might be stuck but it seems to be at the elbow area where the wood rod with the spring connects to the sickle bar. ANy help would be appreciated.

Here are some pix:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6m92y3h8b8chi ... .49.39.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjvwdhlsa6oag ... .49.22.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bx36eipgimtyl ... .49.47.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nk7xpmvdf9cc ... .49.56.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8f87jl1xo60fw ... .50.08.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Sickle bar stuck

Postby tmays » Fri May 30, 2014 6:18 pm

I've never had this happen. Your blade has slid down past where it should be. My suggestion would be put stay rod back in place and remove pitman arm. Be very, very careful. Those blades can slice your fingers pretty good
Thomas

JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby JoeB » Fri May 30, 2014 7:43 pm

Your pitman rod and knife are in a bind, you will need to detach the wooden rod at the fork, let the mower down and reattach it.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 30, 2014 8:12 pm

Never had much dealings with a cub sickle mower,but a lot of dealings with old IH mowers, which are designed pretty much the same. Your sickle has dropped down causing it and the pitman arm to bind. There is supposed to be an ear the pitman knuckle catches on to prevent that, but it does not always hold, as you have learned. Put a small jack under the sickle and push it back up into bar, then let it down carefully. while pushing it back up, make sure the stay rod is holding it, or things may get ugly.

If it is any consolation I had one once that fell down like that but went far enough to hit the ground while i was driving across a field and I bent the sickle as well as breaking the pitman rod.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Fri May 30, 2014 8:19 pm

there is a bracket on the bottom that is held on with two of the guard bolts, it has an ear on it to keep the blade from falling down like yours, the ear is probably worn/broken off
Tim

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri May 30, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi,
It looks like in your pictures that you have a broken part, like John was saying he had. Here is a picture of the part the way it should look, it holds the sickle head at the rear part of it. They still had them at Case IH last year, I haven't asked this year. :)
Attachments
mower.jpg
mower.jpg (193.79 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

marshall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby marshall » Fri May 30, 2014 8:49 pm

Ah. So it seems like I better get that guard with ear if I don't want this to recur. I hope whats left of mine will have a part #.

Tomorrow I'll try jacking the sickle up with the stay rod in place and hope that it moves up so that the bar can then come down correctly.
Then at least I can mow. Am I right in assuming the guard is only present for keeping the sickle from falling down when the bar is in the vertical position and isn't important in keeping the sickle in place during horizontal mowing position?

In general, I don't know who makes this sickle bar. I'm not seeing brand names or part numbers so I'm wondering if any of you recognize it so that I have a
lead on getting parts (e.g. guard with ear and replacement pitman arm which is sure to break some day when I really need to mow)

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri May 30, 2014 8:53 pm

It will be IH. You can check with Case/IH dealer for parts. Personally I'd place an ad here on the forum. One of the guys here will probably have what you need at a cheaper price

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 30, 2014 9:35 pm

when you get the price you may just decide to tie the pitman arm up so the sickle can't slide down. the problem could be the ear broken off the pitamn knuckle that strikes the shown guard to hold it in place, I can't tell from the picture. If you cannot get what you ned through a local dealer, check with JP Tractor Salvage, one of the site sponsors at the bottom of the page.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Fri May 30, 2014 9:38 pm

It's a Cub-22 Sickle Mower made by IH. There's a manual and parts list available in the Manuals Tabs at the tob of the page. Most wear parts are available at any decent farm type store. The pitman is a little shorter than the other IH ones. If you can't find a Cub one, some people make their own, there's a drawing on Rudi's server. In a pinch you can take a regular IH one and cut a little off and drill a hole and be in business. Have to know how much and where though :D Or you'll be out of register (explained in the manual). IH used the same basic parts since the horse drawn mower days.

Here's a picture from a different IH mower than a Cub 22 but the ear and the peg on the pitman are the same as on a Cub 22. The peg only catches on the ear when it's in transport to keep it from falling down and binding and then you can't lower............OH YEAH :D you know that part :lol:
Attachments
100_5265w.jpg
100_5265w.jpg (142.58 KiB) Viewed 1111 times

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Fri May 30, 2014 9:58 pm

Scrivet wrote:It's a Cub-22 Sickle Mower made by IH. There's a manual and parts list available in the Manuals Tabs at the tob of the page. Most wear parts are available at any decent farm type store. The pitman is a little shorter than the other IH ones. If you can't find a Cub one, some people make their own, there's a drawing on Rudi's server. In a pinch you can take a regular IH one and cut a little off and drill a hole and be in business. Have to know how much and where though :D Or you'll be out of register (explained in the manual). IH used the same basic parts since the horse drawn mower days.

Here's a picture from a different IH mower than a Cub 22 but the ear and the peg on the pitman are the same as on a Cub 22. The peg only catches on the ear when it's in transport to keep it from falling down and binding and then you can't lower............OH YEAH :D you know that part :lol:

Thats a Ford aint it. One thing I learned is that the pitman latch, spring, and straps are the same as the ford. I have both, and the parts are the exact same. My guess is that the same company built both then Ford and IHC just branded them.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat May 31, 2014 1:50 am

Hi,
Marshall, It is a Cub 22 mower, like mine in my pic here. The part is called a "Knife Head Cap Rear," in the Mower manual on here. I asked about it last year at Case IH, and he said there was 2 part numbers, one for the older mowers, and one for the newer mowers, not sure when they changed them, so give them your part number which should be on the part. I think one was $20 and one was $25, here in the west.
The part has to be on there to mow with the mower. The piece that sticks up does not matter for mowing, only for keeping the knife bar from sliding down too far when you raise the mower to vertical.
I see part numbers on the guards in your pics, they are IH part numbers, the guards usually have an IH at the front of them, by the number.
Case IH still has many of the parts for them.

marshall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby marshall » Sat May 31, 2014 6:38 am

Hi:

After a fair amount of tapping with a hammer I got the sickle to come up.
Sure enough the ear broke off that on that knife head cap rear and its part number is the same as Glen's ME 652.

Calling Case IH now and will hope to get this and a few pitman arms.

Done. A couple of pitman arms and the knife head cap rear on the way.

This forum is great! This tractor would be at the junk yard without this.

I develop software for a living and used to have to search books for hours looking for solutions to issues. In recent years all my answers are on a site called stackoverflow. Someone has always asked the same question and gotten a bunch of answers. They even have a rating system there where the "right" answer gets marked by a voting process and the person with the right answer gets points which increases their status as experts. Not necessary here since all of you had the right answer within about 2 hours of my post.

This is the stack overflow of Farmall Tractors.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sat May 31, 2014 7:10 am

leerenovations wrote:
Scrivet wrote:.......Here's a picture from a different IH mower than a Cub 22 but the ear and the peg on the pitman are the same as on a Cub 22. ..........

Thats a Ford aint it. One thing I learned is that the pitman latch, spring, and straps are the same as the ford. I have both, and the parts are the exact same. My guess is that the same company built both then Ford and IHC just branded them.
The picture is of an IH two point fast hitch mower for an IH 340 Utility made about about 1960. I doubt only one company made the mowers. I would think that the patents long ago expired and multiple companies adopted what worked best.

Glen wrote:..... I asked about it last year at Case IH, and he said there was 2 part numbers, one for the older mowers, and one for the newer mowers, not sure when they changed them, so give them your part number which should be on the part.
I bet the two pictures show why the part number change, from cast to bent flat metal. I would think that the new one would be backwards compatible.

Glen wrote:I see part numbers on the guards in your pics, they are IH part numbers, the guards usually have an IH at the front of them, by the number.
Case IH still has many of the parts for them.
Rock gaurds, knives, and sometimes pitmans can be had from about any farm type store, Orschleins, Tractor Supply, or a local family operation. The parts are pretty universal across many manufacturers. The rock gaurds (except for each end) just go by MC2041 and will be cast into the top of the gaurd when your looking in the bins. MA2041 is listed in the parts list but they have been "improved" twice (to MB2041 and now MC2041)

Worksmart
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub
'64 Int'l Cub
'66 Int'l Cub
'76 Int'l Cub
'53 Farmall Super A
'03 Kubota BX22
‘19 Kubota L6060

Postby Worksmart » Sat May 31, 2014 11:34 am

I've also had good experience with Webb's Sickle Service.

http://www.sickleservice.com/
Worksmart not hard!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”