This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sickle bar stuck

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Re: Sickle bar stuck

Postby DickB » Sat May 31, 2014 12:16 pm

Been there...and done that! For some time I was taking some baling twine and roping up the pitman connector to hold the cutter blade in place. Then, in some irrational (read: rational) moment, I called the local IH/Case guy and discovered that they carry the part. So do it. And enjoy it.

Yesterday was my first day back on the tractor with the sicklebar. Did a great job. BTW, I probably break all sorts of rules but I take a disc grinder and touch up the cutting edges.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat May 31, 2014 6:10 pm

DickB wrote:........ BTW, I probably break all sorts of rules but I take a disc grinder and touch up the cutting edges.
Only if it's running :shock: :D

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby leerenovations » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:02 pm

I will second Webbs Sickle service, I ordereda pitman oand pitman spring and got them it 2 days (even faster than my payment cleared). The ladt I spoke with was very nice.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:58 am

At Cubarama a few years ago I was helping a guy setup the sickle mower he had just bought. We had to assemble the pitman arm from parts, etc., which took a couple tries since it had been many years since I seriously dealt with one. When we got done I showed him what needed to be oiled, including the sickle ball, then reached down with both hands and flipped the plate over that locked the pitman on the sickle. He asked why I did that, and after I explained doing that held the pitman on the sickle to keep the arm from jumping off, he stated "That explains a lot". He used to work for a farmer that had a couple of IH mowers, and the farmer did not know to lock that arm in place, and he said they always had problem with the pitman jumping off the sickle. I was surprised they were even useable like that.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

chuck ma
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01436
eBay ID: chuszy
Tractors Owned: 1950 Fcub 193 plow{2}, 54grader/plow, cord wood, saw 22, mower
1962 loboy 54lplow,22 mower, right angle pto (2) 5ft drag harrow
1957 case 310 roundnose w/loader/ 6 ft york rake 6 ft back blade, 6ft box blade w/scarifiers, ford 951 rotary cutter, dearborn double bottom plow, 6ft disc harrow, 300lb spreader, 2 row dearborn planter
1974 JD 140 garden tractor 46 mower deck, briny 10" plow (2) brinly cultivator, 54 plow, 48 sweepster, cozy cab,49 blower, 80 brass tag cart 48" drop spreader
1984 JD 160 lawn tractor 38'deck 36"plow

Postby chuck ma » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:15 pm

The part is called a Winfield Ear bought two last year from case in
Around 10-20 bucks each could of around $13 but not sure
Chuch
Ain't no shame in being early

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:25 am

chuck ma wrote:The part is called a Winfield Ear bought two last year from case in
Around 10-20 bucks each could of around $13 but not sure
Chuch
Which part? The nub on the pitman end or the angle bolted to the sickle bar end? A google search just brought me back to a couple old posts here and maybe I'm just thick headed but it's not clear in those either.

:? And who is Winfield? :?

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:47 am

Hi,
The part I wrote about on page 1 of this post is called a Knife Head Cap, Rear, in the IH mower parts book. I asked my local dealer on the phone and he said the part number in my picture is $20.70 here in the west. Still available. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”