This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Voltage Regulator Points Cleaning

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Voltage Regulator Points Cleaning

Postby Glen » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi,
My Cub is 6 volts, and I've had it for years. Sometimes the regulator quits because the points get burned, or dirty after years of use. Then there is no charge shown on the ammeter. I've had success getting the regulator to work again by removing the cover and sanding the points, there's 2 sets of points in them, one on top of each coil of wire. Use really fine sandpaper, 400 grit or so, then wipe out all cuttings with a clean cloth run between the points. It won't work with any cuttings between the points.
Disconnect the battery works better for doing this. You can't get the cover off the reg with the hood on unless you remove the 2 bolts that hold the reg at the base, and pull the reg out some, then the cover will come off.
One set of points should be open with the power off, and one set should be closed all the time, gently open them and put the sandpaper between, don't forget to sand the upper and lower parts of the points, that's 4 surfaces.
While you have the reg bolts out and can get to all 4 wire connections, you could also remove them, one at a time, and sand the connections, and wipe off the cuttings, and put them back on. Do one at a time, and you won't mix up the wires. The wire ends need to be clean for it to work right too.
The 12 volt Cubs with a generator would be similar, I think. Sometimes the regulator still won't work, but sanding has worked for me several times. :)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

dmacarthur
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 05344

Re: Voltage Regulator Points Cleaning

Postby dmacarthur » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:58 pm

You describe beautifully the CORRECT way to get a regulator back to work- I usually end up using a hammer and it usually works pretty well! But when it does not, it can get expensive.... Whack the sucker and watch the ammeter....

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:27 am

Hi,
That's an interesting way to work on a voltage regulator dmacarthur, I've never tried it. :) :thanx:

dmacarthur
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 05344

Postby dmacarthur » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:49 am

I am not recommending it, jut saying that in a pinch when mowing the back forty or stuck on I 40 in the freezing rain it can be a help. Look at your voltage regulator, if it is dented then others have been using my solution!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:56 am

Glen wrote:. . .
Use really fine sandpaper, 400 grit or so, then wipe out all cuttings with a clean cloth run between the points. It won't work with any cuttings between the points.
. . .

Don't use sandpaper. Some of the grit will imbed in the point material and cause premature failure the next time. Use a point file.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi,
Thanks Jim, that is a good idea. I didn't put in my post above, while you have the 2 regulator mounting bolts out, clean the metal at the regulator base, and the bracket, it grounds at the base evidently, they have a little ground wire going to one bolt. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”