Fludderbusted with Governor

Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:17 pm

Alright here is the story. Putting a 48 cub together and the governor didn't work right so I took it off and went thru it and put it all back together.Evidently I missed the timing so I tool it all apart again and checked for timing marks. Anbsolutely none(expected a line or two or an arrow like was on my A but no marks at all.) the idler gear had two teeth with white paint on them amd after much examination I found a piece of white paint on a tooth about the size of the head on a finishing nail Concluded that was it. put it back together and still no work. I am just tortured. Is there anything I am missing? Thanks Henry

Re: Fludderbusted with Governor

Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:42 pm

Wadsworth??? Hmmmmm. Sounds like a MiniFest. :) :) Seriously, my point is that there are people near you willing to lend a hand. The timing marks are simple dots. Check out this thread for an excellent picture of the timing marks. http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83879&p=670416&hilit=timing+magneto#p670416
Let us know how we can help.

Bill

Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:39 pm

Here is a picture showing the timing mark that is on the drive gear on the governor shaft. It is nothing more than a simple dot.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:06 pm

Criswell wrote:Here is a picture showing the timing mark that is on the drive gear on the governor shaft. It is nothing more than a simple dot.

I had a terrible time finding that little dot on the tooth when I had my governor off the tractor. Seeing the orientation of the dot directly above those two slots narrows the search considerably.

I ruined the first magneto oil seal I attempted to install during the process and the second one didn't go in unscathed. I ordered and received my seal tool from Earl and armed with this picture, should find the next oil seal installation a relative snap compared to the last two tries.