On the topic of batteries....

Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:25 pm

Only one 6v available on Sunday here and it is at our old friend TSC. 625 cold cranking amps. The one I am trading in is 700 cold cranking amps. Is the TSC model OK or should I wait until tomorrow AM and get something closer to what I am trading in?

Re: On the topic of batteries....

Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:29 pm

The TSC battery is just fine. More than enough power.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:43 pm

I bought one of those Tractor Supply batteries yesterday and installed it today. It does crank ok and start the tractor just fine.
Mine was $44 and change plus tax.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:04 pm

I got took! I paid $117 at car quest for mine.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Mine weren't $44 but the Loboy, which has not been run since 2012, fired right up and cut the weeds along the road with her "new to us" sickle bar I bought from a fella here a couple years back. Nice little tractor...really. I should put some pictures up. She looks pretty nice since I painted her. A little more testing around here and she will be repurposed to cutting weeds along the farm lanes in hopes of driving the bugs back a little. Happy ending for a tractor what was crushed under a tree limb at one time.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:17 pm

that same battery here in NY at tractor supply is $80, you get a bargain on them in IL.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:54 pm

tst wrote:that same battery here in NY at tractor supply is $80, you get a bargain on them in IL.

Several Indiana Tractor Supply stores will sell them at the $45 price if they have a Rural king very close by. I bought 6 in Muncie last fall at that price.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:30 pm

I think those batteries are junk. I bought a 'refurbished'' 6v Optima battery and that thing will start the tractor in the coldest weather with no maintenance and has lasted for years. Only problem is they do not fit the box but if you have to charge or jump it does not matter.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:44 pm

indy61 wrote:I think those batteries are junk.

If you mean the TSC batteries, I have some that are 4 and 5 years old and still hold a charge. That's good enough for me at the price.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:36 pm

Barnyard wrote:

If you mean the TSC batteries, I have some that are 4 and 5 years old and still hold a charge. That's good enough for me at the price.
Barnyard wrote:

No I do not mean only TSC batteries.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:42 pm

indy61 wrote:No I do not mean only TSC batteries.

But it appears you did mean to include them in your assessment. You may have not had luck with them, but I have. I find no reason to spend more than I need to and I would not be afraid to recommend them.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Yes, they are included with junk.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:07 am

The TSC 6 volt does a good job for me in the Cub.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:36 pm

Replaced my 2008 TSC 6V Battery this spring with a new TSC (Exide) battery.
As Tim (tst) stated, they are $80 here in New England.

As with most other manufactured items, plenty of stuff coming into our region but not much going out. Truckers have to work hard to get loads so they don't have to go back empty.

Peter

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:30 pm

I bought a TSC battery two years ago, I hope it is not JUNK.