This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

removing exhaust pipe & not busting the manifold

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
xbartx
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 97504
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

removing exhaust pipe & not busting the manifold

Postby xbartx » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:16 pm

I have used a couple applications of penetrating fluid and I'm not getting the pipe to budge.
I'm trying not to exert to much force in fear of busting the manifold, I could easily apply more force, if breaking it with a pipe wrench was unlikely.
How strong are the manifolds?
-Brad

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: removing exhaust pipe & not busting the manifold

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:26 pm

On this site are some suggestions on removing the exhaust pipe.

While you search. Manifold off tractor and in vise. Cut off the pipe just above the manifold. Saws All and cut three slits inside the pipe down to or just slightly above the manifolds threads. Punch or chisel, bend in the pipe.
I have an excuse. CRS.

xbartx
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 97504
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

Postby xbartx » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Eugene wrote:On this site are some suggestions on removing the exhaust pipe.

While you search. Manifold off tractor and in vise. Cut off the pipe just above the manifold. Saws All and cut three slits inside the pipe down to or just slightly above the manifolds threads. Punch or chisel, bend in the pipe.

Thanks, I was hoping to just clean it up and paint the existing pipe. Maybe I will pull the manifold, leaving it attached to the pipe and clean and paint the whole assembly.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:27 am

IMHO, I wouldn't touch it unless it needs to be removed to replace the pipe or a manifold gasket.

The manifold bolts won't come out any easier than the muffler pipe, unless you have oxy-acetylene torch heat. At least one will twist off, then you'll either mung up the hole trying to drill it out or you'll break off the ez-out that you foolishly tried to use in the bolt.

Painting the manifold pipe is a waste of paint anyway. It will just burn off on the first run. Even the high-heat paint won't hold up because you can't bake it in the oven.

Return to “Farmall Cub”