This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need some Cub Experts . This one MIGHT stump you.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mac55
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 62565

Need some Cub Experts . This one MIGHT stump you.

Postby Mac55 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi Guys , Great forum you have here. First of all , im new and this is my first post . Im from Shelbyville illinois and my name is Mac. Nice to meet you all. Now for my .... Dilema .

So im not much of a tractor guy , Im an old car guru , i love them all , however , this week i am being forced to learn about the Farmall Cub and here is why.

Last week i got the oppertunity to buy a neat old car from a basement . It is a 1925 Chevrolet 2 dr superior Sedan . " Dont quit reading , The Farmall Cub part is coming :D ". I am looking this car over and open the hood expecting to see the exposed pushrod chevy 4 banger. Instead , i am greeted by a sea of red paint. Yup , this old Chevy was driven to the Levy , And when it got there , someone swapped in a binder mill for motorvation. So she was lightly stuck from being dormant since 1984 . A little MMO down the cylinders and the light use of a bar on the flywheel a couple days later and she easily popped loose.

I rebuilt the carb and it runs as smooth as a sewing machine , however it seems very lacking in the power department and im wondering if it is because there is no governor hooked up . You see , the foot feed has had linkage made and runs directly to the carb . I see the governer rod running infront of the block but there is no linkage from it to the carb whatsoever. Now im not 100% how the gov works . I honestly dont think it is designed to work with the foot feed like on a car. The reason i am asking is because if i am trying to go up any grade at all from a dead stop it is all i can do to get it worked up into my driveway even . If im going down the road and come up to a hill , if i dont have a good head of steam up then it will not pull itself . So what im asking is , would a governor be beneficial ? Or is it a pipe dream? The original Chevy power plant made a staggering 21 horsepower , im not sure what this cub engine is making .... Actually , it is an International Harvester power unit mated directly to the Chevy transmission . But after running some part numbers from the carb etc It looks to be a farmall cub c60 or 154 engine . The carb number on it is a 355712R91. Any help is Greatly appreciated . Thank you kindly Image

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Need some Cub Experts . This one MIGHT stump you.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:25 am

A picture or two of the engine would help. A cub (C60) is a flat head and only produces 10 hp at it's rated 1800, or in case of the power unit, 2000rpm. A C154 is an overhead valve, and much larger than the cub engine, and produces about 35 hp if I remember correctly. The function of the governor is to set the rpm to a certain range and hold it there. An arm on the carb. is connected to a rod going across behind the radiator where it went into the governor and connected to flyweights like you may have seen on the old steam engines. The faster the engine turns the farther out the flyweights try to swing. There is a spring that connects to the cross rod and to a lever on top of the governor. That spring trys to pull the throttle open as the weights try to close it. The rpm is set by how far the top lever is pulled to the rear putting more tension on the spring. The further back the higher the rpm setting. I would think that for your use, a direct connection to the carb linkage and disconnecting the governor would be the normal application.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mac55
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mac55 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:52 am

Thanks for the reply John . Going by your description im going to say that this is the C60 engine and the 10hp is why it does not approve of steep grades. The gear splits in this car are very far apart. Looks like it may be for parade use and flat grades only haha. Here is a picture of the engine.
Attachments
00303_dHjPrXXo9PJ_600x450.jpg
00303_dHjPrXXo9PJ_600x450.jpg (31.05 KiB) Viewed 874 times

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Urbish » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:57 am

Wow, that is a gem. Wonder why anyone thought this was a good idea. Regardless, I think it's pretty cool. File it in the "because I can" department. Maybe all it needs is a supercharger and a nitrous kit and you can make 15 hp... for a little while. :) Welcome to the forum, thanks for posting, and good luck this this interesting concoction.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:14 am

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_001.htm

Above link has information on identifying a Cub engine. Below the casting date in the photo is the block part number. The block part number can be used to identify the engine.

Neat looking car.

Edit. Tune up including compression tests may improve engine's performance.

As John stated, the governor is used to limit and maintain engine RPS. The direct hook up to the carburetor should provide more engine RPS.

2nd edit. Assuming this is an early C60 engine, you can get much closer to the Chevy 21 hp by up grading the engine. The later IH C60 engines used in numbered Cubs came in at around 16 to 18 hp.

Guessing, engine is low on compression.
Last edited by Eugene on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:37 am

Sure looks like a cub engine

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:52 am

Well if it works for you, you certainly will have lots of advice in the engine department…..LOL... :lol: …Dave
In Memory of 58,286

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:08 pm

engine is WAY too small and can never be made to put out the power needed to run a car of any size, so its a waste of good tractor motor. thanks; sonny

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:24 pm

1925 Chevrolet Series K Superior Facts

Model Series K
Weight range (lbs.) 1,690 - 2070
Price range (new) $525-$825
Number built 519,229

Weight range is almost identical to a loaded standard Cub. Weight isn't going to be a problem, transmission and differential gearing will be.

Interesting car and a great conversation piece. Not sure I would do any significant changes since this is not going to be a daily driver, commuter car.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Even on level ground the available horsepower will not produce much speed due to wind drag. Carbureted engines in automobiles are rare after the mid-1980's. Fuel injection involves engine control modules. Chevette or Pinto engines might be an option but would not be plentiful at this time. A small Diesel might be possible, but would not be low cost. Kubota offers several in the range of 20 to 30 hp with 3200-3600 RPM speeds. That would not be far from the original power and engine speed.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Hoyt-Clagwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07853
Tractors Owned: 47' Cub

Postby Hoyt-Clagwell » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:52 pm

If your looking to replace the engine maybe a Willys Go Devil would work. Its an L head and I think they made about 55-60hp. Not sure how available or expensive they are now.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:53 pm

Never ceases to amaze me just where one will find a Cub engine :big smile: I like this one ... Very nice car Mac .. that should be a keeper simply because it is unique. :D Oh yeah - welcome to the Cub family :{_}:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:45 pm

How is the Cub engine bolted up to the car's transmission? Basically, how was it done?

Don't think it was a direct bolt in. Some modifications had to be made.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mac55
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mac55 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Ill try to get some pics of it bolted to the chevy trans . It looks factory , done very cleanly. I went through the carb while waiting on the rebuild kit and got it to run good enough for a drive. The car does not run down the road bad. plenty fast in my opinion for 89 year old wooden spokes :) . I made a video and will upload to youtube now . post a link in a little while .

Mac55
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mac55 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Return to “Farmall Cub”