This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Seafoam Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chevyguy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16115

Seafoam Question

Postby Chevyguy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:35 pm

I have two questions for those of you that have used Seafoam. The instructions on the can says to use 1 1/2 oz per quart of oil when adding it to the crankcase. First question, do you add the Seafoam to the crankcase when it is full of oil, and thereby overfill the crankcase, or do you add the proper amount when the oil is low enough so you don't overfill the crankcase? Also, how long can/should you run the tractor with Seafoam in the oil? Please advise.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Seafoam Question

Postby Scrivet » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:03 pm

A Cub engine takes 3 quarts of oil.
3 qts = 96 ounces.
For 3 quarts oil you would add 4.5 ounces Seafoam.
That's 4.5 ounces added to 96 ounces.
I've never looked but I bet you wouldn't see the oil line on the dipstick move.
Chevyguy wrote:....... Also, how long can/should you run the tractor with Seafoam in the oil? .....
Until something breaks or causes it not to run; which will be much sooner with out the Seafoam in my opinion. :D

Honestly, with the small cans I usually dump about half the can in the gas and what's left down the dipstick tube and never give it a second thought. How often depends on what I have available and how the tractor's running. Seafoam kinda reminds me of grandma and the Castor oil, a good dose now and then keeps things cleaned out. :wink:

Might want to do an oil change soon after a good first dose and a little hard use.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Crankcase full of oil, just add the Seafoam to the crankcase, you won't over fill the crankcase.

Run the tractor with Seafoam in crankcase until next scheduled oil change.

SeaFoam is a petroleum based product and won't hurt any thing. Designed to loosen and remove built up carbon deposits.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:28 pm

I tend to add 1/2 can of Seafoam to the crankcase and the rest into the gas tank. Smokes a bit but sure does clean things up a lot. Loosens up the gunk and the engine runs much better.

Ellie sat all winter while I was in hospital and recovering at home. Didn't get used at all. I had put some Seafoam in the gas and in the crankcase the last time I had run her after I got back from Cecil's. When I started Ellie up the other day for the first time - purred like a kitten. Nothing stuck .. valves all free .. just a touch of smoke for a few seconds and then Singer time :-)

I really am a fan of Seafoam - the guys here got me hooked bad :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:59 am

I SeaFoam my gas and use Marvels Mystery Oil in my oil. Both are amazing
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Sapper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: T9W1L1
Tractors Owned: 1964 Farmall Cub

Postby Sapper » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:59 am

I too became a confirmed SeaFoam fan after diving into the Cub for the first time. During the first tune up I was alarmed at the carbon build up. I dove straight into the forum here (and caught some hell for being in the house with dirty shoes) got educated and now I've managed to go through the stock held by the local Canadian Tire.

It's in both of these as wells as kids vehicles.

Giltedge after.JPG
Giltedge after.JPG (267.24 KiB) Viewed 537 times

Wash time.jpg
Wash time.jpg (182.38 KiB) Viewed 537 times
'64 Cub sn 224216

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Postby Posco » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:13 pm

I put Seafoam and MMO in every tank of gas I burn and both in the crankcase as well. Someone mentioned putting a small dose of two cycle oil in the gas as well. Haven't done that yet but I intend to.

At the risk of getting flamed I have an admission to make but I'll expose myself to the risk. A while back we had a discussion on putting K-1 or diesel fuel in the crankcase to loosen up sludge deposits. Drain the oil, overfill the crankcase with K1 or diesel and 'shake' the tractor.

Some of us will remember how the conversation went. I thought it over and decided to turn the engine over with the starter for a few seconds at a time over the course of a couple of days. Of course the kill switch was in a position not to allow the tractor to start/fire. I did that two or three times and drained the K-1 and added a fresh filter and oil. After two or three hours of operation, the oil/engine is still so clean I have a hard time picking it up on the dipstick.

I don't recall ever seeing oil so clean, even after a fresh oil change. No harm, no foul.

Chevyguy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16115

Postby Chevyguy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:37 pm

Thanks for all that information guys. Appreciate it!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”