This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plug on engine block

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
wrz
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 85233
Tractors Owned: 47 Fcub
51 Fcub
57 Lo Boy FH
59 Lo Boy FH 45 Loader

Plug on engine block

Postby wrz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:29 am

On my 1959 Lo Boy the engine has a 1/2 inch plug just to the right of the oil filter housing near the top of the block. It goes in to the water jacket. All of my other cub engines don"t have it. The engine serial number is CUBM227983 V. What is it used for?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Plug on engine block

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:14 am

What is the PN and casting date of the engine casting (below the carb)? The engine SN lines up with what should be on a 1959 tractor, but I believe the block was originally intended for marine use, or a previous owner drilled and tapped for the plug for some other reason.

wrz
5+ Years
5+ Years
51 Fcub
57 Lo Boy FH
59 Lo Boy FH 45 Loader

Postby wrz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:33 am

The part number is 261341R7 and the casting code is 7 17 E . The block is build up in the casting where the plug is tapped in. I would post a picture if I could figure it out.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:53 am

In the HOW To Section there is how to post pictures, but in the mean time email it to me and I will post it for you.
ejpuckett@centurytel.net
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:42 pm

The engine in my Cub has that. But, it came out of a power unit. I use it for a temperature gage. Ted

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:28 pm

here are the pictures.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:41 pm

Engine oil gallery plug. Been replaced. The oil gallery feeding the oil filter housing is directly under the plug.
I have an excuse. CRS.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:46 pm

The large square plug does not connect into the oil galley, it does connect to the water jacket. I do not know its original purpose for this engine as it has a different PN than the engines Palmer used for their marine use that had the same casting and plug in them. Is your PN stamped into the block casting or is it raised letters cast there? Is the tractor all original or can you tell if major parts have been replaced? If you can, could you provide the tractor SN and the casting numbers from other components? Are you absolutely sure that the 6 in the block PN you listed is not actually a 5?

wrz
5+ Years
5+ Years
51 Fcub
57 Lo Boy FH
59 Lo Boy FH 45 Loader

Postby wrz » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:34 pm

The cub lo boy serial number is 11434 and the casting part number on the block is raised number in the casting and is a 5 not a 6 251391 R 7 (Stand Corrected). I believe the engine is original to the tractor.by my inspection. If you look at the above pictures you can see Federal Yellow showing through and all the rest of the tractor has the same problem. So this was a 1959 yellow cub from the factory. The wagner 45 loadert parts have the first coat off white with federal yellow the second coat and years later somebody painted the whole tractor red. The tc has 7-17-E casting date code(same as engine). What are the odds of having a changed engine with the same date code as the TC. Other date codes torque tube 7-30-E, head 7-2-E. Was it common to paint the loader the same color from the factory.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:00 am

Wagner was an aftermarket. They made similar style loaders for most tractors back in the late 40s up through I think the 60s. All of them I have seen were red, though they may have sold them in other colors.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:43 pm

I also believe from looking at the numbers that the engine is original to the tractor. What I can't answer is why yours was cast with the water outlet in front of the oil filter housing. Typically, when such a change happens to a part, the revision number would change to account for the change in the piece, or if it was a drastic change, the entire PN would differ. This did not happen for some reason on your block, as it shares the same PN and revision number as a typical Cub engine from that era. Very interesting to say the least.
In case you didn't know, the "V" in the engine SN denotes "RotoValves".

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:29 pm

Temp gauge?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:29 pm

i have a block that has a sending unit there and i think it was a power unit motor. i 'll post some pics of it if you guys would like it

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:40 pm

Rob in NH wrote:i have a block that has a sending unit there and i think it was a power unit motor. i 'll post some pics of it if you guys would like it

Yes, I would like to see that, along with the numbers off the block if at all possible! :D

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:20 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:The large square plug does not connect into the oil galley, it does connect to the water jacket. I do not know its original purpose for this engine as it has a different PN than the engines Palmer used for their marine use that had the same casting and plug in them. Is your PN stamped into the block casting or is it raised letters cast there? Is the tractor all original or can you tell if major parts have been replaced? If you can, could you provide the tractor SN and the casting numbers from other components? Are you absolutely sure that the 6 in the block PN you listed is not actually a 5?

Raymond,

I have a NOS block (complete with a coat of cosmoline) that has the plug. After church tomorrow I will get the serial number, PN, Casting Code and, possibly, some pics for you. My understanding when I purchased this was that it was for use in a marine application.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Return to “Farmall Cub”