This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission whine... normal?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62828
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1960 Cub Lo Boy slope modified
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Re: Transmission whine... normal?

Postby Arthur Dent » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:49 pm

Don't worry, I don't plan to take it apart for the despeeders. This is my dad's tractor, and it will stay the way it was when he bought it, other than what is necessary to keep it in working condition.
I'll check it out a lot better once I get it home where I can work on it, right now I just get a few minutes with it every couple of weeks. It could be that a good flushing and some new fluid will quiet the transmission down. Well, I can be hopeful anyway.
I don't know why the steering linkage would be different than what was usually provided for this model, other than maybe it got a transplant at some point in it's career. Maybe someone who is familiar with the mowing units will chime in here.
As far as the whine, yes it does get on my nerves quickly. I normally wear hearing protection any time on a tractor or mower, as my hearing is already pretty poor. Just a few minutes on the Cub really bothered my ears, as I had not thought to bring my "ear muffs" along on this visit.
By the way, can anyone tell what model of mower this is mounted? Someone said it was a Woods, I assume there were several models. I haven't seen any type of plate or other identification on the mower, it could be somewhere under all that accumulated dirt. Or, it could have been painted over.
The first thing I'll do when I get it home is give it a good wash!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:06 am

The mower looks like a Woods 59 that has been modified so the brackets will fit the extended width rear.

I believe the tie rods are normal for the "modified slope loboys" along with the larger steering wheel and a possibility of all kinds of other things. Read the fine print just above the muffler in this brochure from TM. http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gbrochures/customizedloboy.htm There are several versions of modified loboys in TM's brochure section. Great place to browse on a rainy day :D

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Hengy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:27 pm

Scrivet wrote:The mower looks like a Woods 59 that has been modified so the brackets will fit the extended width rear.

I believe the tie rods are normal for the "modified slope loboys" along with the larger steering wheel and a possibility of all kinds of other things. Read the fine print just above the muffler in this brochure from TM. http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gbrochures/customizedloboy.htm There are several versions of modified loboys in TM's brochure section. Great place to browse on a rainy day :D

Good eye, Scrivet!!!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:05 pm

It's hard to hear if it's the final drive that's adding to the noise. Before I do anything I'd either check all the oils in everything or change the oils first.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:20 pm

Question, sorry but I have to ask.

A while back before I parked my 154 with the mower it had a tranny noise that sounded like coming from the left final drive. The other day I noticed the left tire was low on air pressure. Do you think the tranny or final noise can come from a low tire putting extra pressure on the finals through the differential?
I know tranny is ok I inspected it when I had the first gear fork to repair.

Having two different diameter tires turning on the same finals and differential could be a problem. One tire is trying to turn faster than the other while loading up the gears.

Since my dispeeder didn't sell a while back I been thinking of installing it in my fcub?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall Cub”