Re: A little stumped now....

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:09 am

To clarify what I said about the 'sound' of the Cub..... the advise of Trent should uncover what is wrong with it or at least point you in the right direction. Good advise to start out with everything correct. An inductive timing light (borrow one? connected to a 12V battery) will show something and is an easy first step.

The Cub is not running right.

Re: A little stumped now....

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:40 pm

I'm with Barnyard in that the appearance of the spindles not turning as an artifact of the shutter speed of the video camera. I would pull the belt and move every single pulley by hand to ensure that all are turning freely. As others have said, this could be a power problem with the tractor or a problem with the mower, or a combination of the two. My cub with the Woods 59CF-1 mower takes off fine in third gear, but does struggle a little bit in getting everything up to speed when taking off in second with the mower deck engaged. Although it is counterintuitive, I have found that taking off with a lower engine speed lever position (about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle) actually improves things as the tractor isn't trying to get both the mower and the wheels up to high speed immediately. That's the difference between driving something with a governor vs. a direct throttle imput. Try giving that a shot.

Re: A little stumped now....

Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:37 pm

Definitely sounds like a bound spindle to me. I didn't read carefully enough before posting... Have you tried to run the mower with the tractor out of gear? Can it start the mower alone?

Re: A little stumped now....

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:51 am

A couple things. If the deck rolls freely then I still believe you have a fuel flow problem or a governor problem, (you should be able to engage the deck with the tractor in neutral at very low engine speed and the deck roll nice and easily). If the deck is over taxing the engine then you will experience what your video shows. Something I noticed In your video is the governor doesn't seem to be working. I could not hear the governor kicking in. You should be able to hear the governor work when the tractor goes from a low load to a high load condition, as the governor attempts to bring the engine back up to speed. Another thing I noticed was I thought I heard a little piston slap or maybe pre-ignition. If it is pre-ignition then tour timing could be off a bit which will rob some power.

Re: A little stumped now....

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:12 am

Thought. Contact one of the Cubers in your area. Invite them over for lunch.

Example. Stanton, one heck of a nice guy, lives approximately 20 miles from you, Lone Jack. Frequently helps to get set of knowledgeable hands and eyes on the problem.

Re: A little stumped now....

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:16 am

Eugene wrote:Thought. Contact one of the Cubers in your area. Invite them over for lunch.

Example. Stanton, one heck of a nice guy, lives approximately 20 miles from you, Lone Jack. Frequently helps to get set of knowledgeable hands and eyes on the problem.

I agree

Re: A little stumped now....

Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:59 pm

PM sent.

Re: A little stumped now....

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Gentlemen,
I am sorry for so long to reply to this post on here.
I posted this and then my wife was on vacation from work and I spent most of my time the past 10 days working and then doing vacation bible school with our kids.
It has been a crazy past ten/eleven days here.
I have a few people to PM that PM'ed me with advice and words of wisdom.
I am hoping to get that done in the next day or so. Please forgive me for not getting back right away.
Summer is a lot busier for me than the school year is.
I appreciate everybody's help and advice on this post it is more than greatly appreciated.
I was able to mess with Brummer Venus some the past 10-11 days and this is what I did.
1. I went back and re-greased everything on it
2. I drove it without engaging the belt on the mower to make sure everything worked.
3. Put new gas in it
4. Took the belt off the back pto and spun the pto and the blades on the deck (I spent probably 10 minutes doing it to the deck) everything spun freely with no catching.
5. I drove it and turned on the pto with the belt and was able to drive it and make 5 passes in my yard with it.
A. My struggles occurred when driving up hill, it did not want to really go that fast and died a couple times
B. When driving in a flat area the mower stayed on
C. When driving with the mower on up hill it felt as if the deck was pulling power from the tractor causing the tractor to either die or want to die

I am contemplating whether or not to try to sell the deck or trade the deck for the mower deck that actually belongs on the cub. What do you guys think? I personally don't need the finish mower as my cub cadet mows everything. I wanted the mower for my horse pasture.
Will the mower deck cause problems with the tractor engine and cause damage to it?

*****On a side note. As I had the tractor out and working on it my kids and I hooked a sled up to it and a sled up to our cub cadet and we put on a little tractor/mower parade for their grandparents. It was a great time.

Re: A little stumped now....

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:44 am

Stanton sent a PM. Assuming Stanton has offered to check out the tractor and mower. If so, I'd take him up on the offer.

Cutting the horse pasture. Depending on grass type, height, etc., the Cub may be underpowered for the task.

Narrowing down the problem. Have you conducted compression tests on the tractor?

Re: A little stumped now....

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:01 am

Eugene wrote:Stanton sent a PM. Assuming Stanton has offered to check out the tractor and mower. If so, I'd take him up on the offer.

Cutting the horse pasture. Depending on grass type, height, etc., the Cub may be underpowered for the task.

Narrowing down the problem. Have you conducted compression tests on the tractor?


Have made offer via PM. He is planning to call to set up a time when we can get together. I have a compression tester and multi-meter (and anything else I can think of) to bring. Will do a dry and wet compression test. Plan to check points gap and condition of rotor and cap. Pull spark plugs and check gap and condition. Will check for play in governor arm to carb. Almost sounds like governor is not kicking in when load is elevated on engine. I'm limited in what I can do, but glad to help out however I can.

We'll see...

Re: A little stumped now....

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:32 am

Excellent that you can help out, poor fellow was probably overwhelmed by our prolific advise. A timing light won't necessarily tell you what's wrong, but will give a quick indication that something IS wrong. Could easily be something simple like plug wire, plug or loose connection.

Thanks!

Re: A little stumped now....

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:36 am

Farmallcub.com members stepping up to help. Gotta love it! :-)

Re: A little stumped now....

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:00 pm

Stanton wrote:
Eugene wrote:Stanton sent a PM. Assuming Stanton has offered to check out the tractor and mower. If so, I'd take him up on the offer.

Cutting the horse pasture. Depending on grass type, height, etc., the Cub may be underpowered for the task.

Narrowing down the problem. Have you conducted compression tests on the tractor?


Have made offer via PM. He is planning to call to set up a time when we can get together. I have a compression tester and multi-meter (and anything else I can think of) to bring. Will do a dry and wet compression test. Plan to check points gap and condition of rotor and cap. Pull spark plugs and check gap and condition. Will check for play in governor arm to carb. Almost sounds like governor is not kicking in when load is elevated on engine. I'm limited in what I can do, but glad to help out however I can.

We'll see...

Stanton, also throw a feeler gauge in case the valves need adjusted ( a real power sapper sometimes). 8)

Re: A little stumped now....

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:36 am

I'm suspicious of either governor or a failing coil, both will cause engine to lose power under a load.

Re: A little stumped now....

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Denny Clayton wrote:Stanton, also throw a feeler gauge in case the valves need adjusted ( a real power sapper sometimes). 8)


Was planning on bringing that as well, but thanks for the suggestion.