A few odd bits about the Cub...

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:56 am

More Cub pix_00004.jpg
More Cub pix_00005.jpg
More Cub pix_00006.jpg
More Cub pix_00020.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: A few odd bits about the Cub...

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am

It looks like it has the industrial steering linkage.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:51 am

I also see a Howard Despeeder on it. I would suspect someone redid the linkage and could not get the wheels to line up properly so they took the key out and welded the arms in a new position.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:53 am

Is that 2 despeeders on one side?

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:16 am

Harold R wrote:Is that 2 despeeders on one side?
I think you are seeing the final, but it appears the wheel is set out, or the finals are turned backwards.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:29 am

Here is a back view.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:31 am

Yes, there are two despeeders, one on each side. Thanks to Barnyard for reposting a couple of rear end shots from my earlier album.

Here is how the finals are mounted.
How does one check the oil in the pan with it sideways like this?
More Cub pix_00018.jpg

More Cub pix_00015.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Arthur Dent on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:52 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I would suspect someone redid the linkage and could not get the wheels to line up properly so they took the key out and welded the arms in a new position.

Oh, I see. That makes sense John, thanks.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:20 am

it also has the 18 inch steering wheel vs the normal 15 inch like it was set up for a 105 mower but no foot throttle

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:36 am

Pretty common "farmer fix" to weld the steering arms on to the spindles like that, when you can't keep them clamped tight.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:32 pm

The steering wheel and front linkage looks like the parts from a Farmall 140 tractor.

Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:53 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:The steering wheel and front linkage looks like the parts from a Farmall 140 tractor.

Those would have been standard on this tractor. This is what is known as either a modified or customized Loboy.

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gbr ... bloboy.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gbr ... dloboy.htm

Click on image for larger view
customizedcubloboy.jpg

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:48 pm

Arthur Dent wrote:..........Here is how the finals are mounted.
How does one check the oil in the pan with it sideways like this?
The normal loboys have a level plug that takes a socket wrench without a socket on it facing the rear on each final up where it bolts to the rear end/axle extension tube. Since yours are rotated 180 degrees from those I would say they are both facing forward. I don't know where the despeeders get their oil from or if they have to be checked?

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:01 pm

Scrivet wrote:..........I don't know where the despeeders get their oil from or if they have to be checked?
The Despeeders have their own oil supply with a level plug being on the side opposite the engaging lever.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:30 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the great information!