dowel pins

Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:20 pm

The radiator and steering housing have dowel pins. Are all of them drilled the same or do I need to buy the matched set? My rad housing is broken.

john

Re: dowel pins

Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:39 pm

If I am understanding your question correctly, any housing from any year should have the same size dowel, so you and simply remove and reuse the old one. I am referring to the same part, not every dowel on the tractor is the same size.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi,
Here's a page from the Cub parts book. It shows there is 1 dowel between parts 11 and 21, the dowel is number 19. Check and tighten the 5 bolts that hold the 2 parts together, I saw one once that the bolts loosened from years of use. The front axle force is held by those bolts too, every time a wheel drives through a hole, etc. Click on the pic makes it bigger. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 005-02.jpg

Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:10 pm

Typically dowel pins are of a standard size. If you are missing one, using your calipers measure up the hole. Using the calipers go through your bolt bin and measure up the smooth shanks until you find the correct size. Cut smooth portion of bolt to length and chamfer both ends.

Typically dowel pins are used during product assembly to correctly line up parts before final assembly. As far as the dowel pins requiring to be machine matched, not necessary.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:03 am

Good idea using the bolts for dowels but use grade 8 or better. If you have a tool and die maker buddy measure the dia. and length and have him bring you a couple. Tighten the bolts good and tight or they will come loose.(one or two are hard to get to). Don't ask how I know.