This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

dowel pins

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657
Circle of Safety: Y

dowel pins

Postby john2189 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:20 pm

The radiator and steering housing have dowel pins. Are all of them drilled the same or do I need to buy the matched set? My rad housing is broken.

john
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: dowel pins

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:39 pm

If I am understanding your question correctly, any housing from any year should have the same size dowel, so you and simply remove and reuse the old one. I am referring to the same part, not every dowel on the tractor is the same size.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi,
Here's a page from the Cub parts book. It shows there is 1 dowel between parts 11 and 21, the dowel is number 19. Check and tighten the 5 bolts that hold the 2 parts together, I saw one once that the bolts loosened from years of use. The front axle force is held by those bolts too, every time a wheel drives through a hole, etc. Click on the pic makes it bigger. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 005-02.jpg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:10 pm

Typically dowel pins are of a standard size. If you are missing one, using your calipers measure up the hole. Using the calipers go through your bolt bin and measure up the smooth shanks until you find the correct size. Cut smooth portion of bolt to length and chamfer both ends.

Typically dowel pins are used during product assembly to correctly line up parts before final assembly. As far as the dowel pins requiring to be machine matched, not necessary.
I have an excuse. CRS.

hoosier
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37075

Postby hoosier » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:03 am

Good idea using the bolts for dowels but use grade 8 or better. If you have a tool and die maker buddy measure the dia. and length and have him bring you a couple. Tighten the bolts good and tight or they will come loose.(one or two are hard to get to). Don't ask how I know.

Return to “Farmall Cub”