This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

idler gear bolt

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

idler gear bolt

Postby brewzalot » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:52 am

Hello all-

Brand new to the forum, but have been using all the great info the past year on my 61 cub restoration and soon the 57 loboy. Finally getting to put all the bolts back in my freshly painted parts instead of taking them out of rusty and greasy ones. I grew up around green tractors on a dairy farm in Wisconsin, but just love these cubs.Its been a great experience and cant wait to get it completely back together.

My question is simple- should there be any washers on the bolt holding the front engine idler gear on? I do not see any in the parts book. Mine has a flat washer and a lock washer on it and as I was replacing the front cover I realized that bolt head is hitting the cover slightly. The only thing that may have changed that distance is the new gasket seems thinner than the one that was on there when I took it off. I see no marks on the cover where it was hitting before, it may have been just that close. That bolt doesn't spin but it still cant be right that it hits. Are these bolts notorious for coming loose and the previous owner may have added those washers? Thoughts?

ps- I was on a 3rd grade level for computer skills, but they too have passed me up... so let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. I had trouble getting my first posting out- I hope this is not a duplicate.

thanks,
Tim Z

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: idler gear bolt

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:23 am

brewzalot wrote:should there be any washers on the bolt holding the front engine idler gear on?

No washers should be there. It should look just as you saw it in the manual.

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks for the quick response Barnyard- I just needed that reassurance before the fan pulley goes back on.

Tim Z

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:51 pm

If the manual has a length on that bolt, you might check to make sure your's hasn't previously been replaced and is too long.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:41 pm

I don't recall seeing a length called out anywhere but then I wasn't looking specifically for one. I took out the washers and the bolt tightens down ok without bottoming out, so I think I'm good to go. The manual says 90ft/lbs - that's where I have it.

If it wasn't so serious it would be funny all the things you find either added or subtracted to a tractor from the past. It sure keeps you on your toes and thinking though.
thanks for the input Bob -that was a good call.

Tim Z

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:00 pm

I believe that bolt is hollow to let oil through to the idler bushing isn't it? Make sure you have the right one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:05 pm

Tim, After reading John's post, I looked up that bolt on Messick's website. Part # 358248R1 is 1/2 x 13 x 2 1/4". However, the cost is $28.98, so I'm guessing it's more than just a regular grade 5 or 8 bolt.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:15 pm

John is correct. The bolt is hollow with a hole in the side to oil the idler.
I have an excuse. CRS.

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:25 pm

The bolt (that I have) looks like a normal 1/2-13 x 2 1/4" long hex head bolt, it is not hollow but has a half moon depression in the head, or a better way to describe it, it looks like you stood it up and drilled a 1/2" dia. hole a 1/4" deep into it? It almost looks like a small internal snap ring groove in that depression- I've not seen anything like this before ?

The idler gear has a hole through to the bushing, and the bushing has a hole through it so I don't think the bolt allows oil to anything but now you got me wondering? Anyone know for sure what that bolt is supposed to look like?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Check your service manual, lubrication or oil flow diagram.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:19 pm

I just went to the shed and checked, and I mislead you. The bolt you described is correct, the oil passes through the space between the bolt and the hub, then through a hole to the bushing in the idler gear. Sorry for the wrong info, I recently worked on a Friends IH 444, and the bolt that holds the center rocker arm shaft support is hollow with oil passing through it. That was stuck in my mind.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:26 pm

Not a problem John, its when things stop getting stuck in your mind you should start to worry!

I'm putting the cover back on and laying this one to rest.

thanks to all for all the input- Tim

Return to “Farmall Cub”