First Farmall, first post. ID needed!

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:00 am

Hey guys,

Looks like a great community with tons of information! I was just 'gifted' my dad's old Farmall Cub (joke's on me, looks like a bit of work is needed!) and am doing a little research before I dive into a restoration. So far, I've found out it's a '49 instead of a '48 like I was told. I also have a 60" mower deck, moldbord plow with disc, snow blade and a few sets of discs, one Ferguson and another.

From the leveler/grader manual on TM Tractor, it looks like I can use the snow blade in a grader configuration with little modification. Is this correct?

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gim/early_blade.htm

Also, it looks like the mower deck was originally yellow and my dad told me it was a rough-cut, but I'm trying to get this and a few other questions nailed down. Can anyone ID the mower and confirm that it's a rough cut? From the shape of it, might just be a REALLY rough finish cut!

Here are a few pictures and one I found online that looks similar to mine:

Re: First Farmall, first post. ID needed!

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:13 am

Welcome to the board!
Your mower is a finish mower. Its intended for lawn/yard grass, but won't cut near a nice as a new mower will. Maybe thats why you father referred to it as a rough cut mower.
The blade can be moved from out front to under the tractor to be used as a grader with some reconfiguring, but no modification of any parts is necessary. You will need a drawbar to mount the blade under the belly.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks for the quick info! Forgot to include in the pictures, I've got the drawbar and a depth adjuster for the plow. Don't think they were off the truck yet when I took the pictures. Also have the grille, some kind of big 4-5" right angle pulley for the PTO, new casters for the mower deck, spare cylinder head, etc.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:32 am

Clip, Welcome to the Forum. If the Cub hasn't run in a while, you'll want to prime the oil pump before the first start up. Also, in the tool bar above, you'll find links to manuals that will help you do maintenance, service, etc.

Bob

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:36 am

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find just about all the answers you need to get your "New to you" cub up and running. I have the scraper blade mounted under the belly of my '55 Cub, and as Raymond mentioned, it is no problem mounting it there, but you WILL need a drawbar, which gets mounted with the curve toward the front. I may even have an extra one and can check this afternoon. As it happens, I may be heading toward your area...going to Boss Hogs (IF my mower made it there) via South Boston. It is about half way between you and me (Chapel Hill, NC) and we could meet up there.

If you go above to Rudi's Manuals, you will find all the manuals (Operators, Service, and Parts). Then click on Cub Implement Manuals, then Cub-54 Leveling and Grader Blade 6-7-53 the one for the grader blade, which shows how to mount it. (http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Implement%20Manuals/Cub-54%20Leveling%20and%20Grader%20Blade%206-7-53/Cub-54%20Leveling%20and%20Grader%20Blade%206-7-53.htm)

Boss Hog is having a Mini Cubfest in October...check it out and try hard to go. It is a good chance to get some help with any problems you might have with your tractor, if you can take it. Or just show up, watch, learn, ask questions, AND help! You will learn a lot and meet a bunch of good folks from this forum!

Good luck!

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:03 am

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Bob, good advice to prime the oil pump before I try anything crazy. Dale, very generous to offer up a drawbar! I've got the drawbar for mine, just didn't have it mounted in the picture. The link explains everything I needed to know about the grader attachment, hopefully I can get this running in time to spread a load of gravel at a friend's house.

I've picked up some 10W30, 80W90, a new 6V battery as the one that came with it was shot, and have a shifter plate gasket, new oil filter cartridge and final drive pan gaskets on the way from TM Tractor. My dad had the forethought to take hte plugs out every year or two and liberally applying WD-40 in the cylinders, so I'm hoping that it won't be too nasty in there. Planning on putting some Kroil in the cylinders and on the valve train and letting it sit for a few days while I drain, kerosene flush, and refill the motor and trans, then going through the rest of the manual and doing the tune-up/long term storage procedures recommended (eg, hit all the oil locations with light oil, clean up the distributor/magneto, etc) before I attempt to turn the motor over. Also have to fix the shifter as it pulls out at will, I'll be using George Willer's advice. (http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Mainte ... vement.htm) Bought a blast cabinet for cleaning up most of the smaller parts and everything I can take off, and have a larger pot blaster for the big stuff like plows and mower deck.

Think I'll be traveling in Sept/Oct, but would love to make it to a later meet.

Is that finish mower an IH brand or aftermarket? Seems like its an IH Danco C-3, but backwards.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:13 am

I think that may be a Pennington mower.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:55 am

i'll 2nd that on the pennington mower

Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:53 pm

Clip wrote:Planning on putting some Kroil in the cylinders and on the valve train and letting it sit for a few days while I drain, kerosene flush, and refill the motor and trans...

You can flush the engine with kerosene, but don't start it with just kerosene in the crankcase. Run only with engine oil. For extra cleaning, use a product like Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil with the first oil change. Filling the transmission with 3.5 pints of kerosene and running it for a short period is no problem.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:35 pm

The mower looks like a Pennington. It was made as an aftermarket add on. I have the manual if you need a copy, PM or post. Stan