This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sickle Mower Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sickle Mower Cub

Postby WaMoo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:40 pm

I make my own pitmans too... Out here in the west, I use straight grain, clear Douglas Fir... A strong, flexible wood. Popular for mower tongues (horse drawn) and such. I bought a scrap piece of Doug Fir for a few bucks, and then cut a bunch of blanks out. Still on my first one, seems to be holding up well. The pitman I replaced I'm certain was the original.
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Geezer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 62258

Postby Geezer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:23 pm

That is my plan, but I used it twice and seems to be working fine, but the pitman arm sure looks poor. I best make one before it breaks and I am out of business. Found an interesting problem this am. When I went to the garage the blade was resting on the floor, the part with the ball on it, mower in upright position. Appears the piece that attaches to the ball on the blade has a little knob that is suppose to rest against a stop and keep the blade from sliding out when in the upright position. Its broke a little at the end, but enough to present a problem when the mower is upright. So, I imagine it is cast and that be the case I believe I will braze a piece on, when it cools some, 96 today.
WaMoo wrote:I make my own pitmans too...

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi,
Here's a pic of the part you are talking about, I think, it is called a Knife Head Cap Rear, in the Cub 22 mower parts list. They are still available at Case IH. It was about $20 lately here in the west USA. :)
Attachments
mower.jpg
mower.jpg (193.79 KiB) Viewed 524 times

Geezer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Geezer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:38 pm

The above part on mine seems to be good. Reference the pitman arm clamp for the ball on the blade. It has a small piece that I think stops on the "Knife Head Cap Rear". Dunno how else to explain it and I cannot bring up the PDF files just now or I would quote the part. Anyway that piece seems to be broken some on mine or out of adjustment. I have a bungy cord holding the pitman arm/blade up when vertical and since I will be taking the pitman arm off I will have a better look later.....for now all is ok but thanks.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:48 pm

Scroll down in this thread (I can't get the picture to move): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84694

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Geezer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Geezer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:00 pm

You hit it bang on Bob, thats the part I was trying to describe. My piece is indeed broken off some based on the picture. So I can either replace the part (if available) or try and braze or weld a piece on....I think when I have the pitman arm off I will try and braze a piece on first. Thanks a ton.
Bob McCarty wrote:Scroll down in this thread (I can't get the picture to move): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84694

Bob

Arthur Luke
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 74022
Tractors Owned: 8 F Cubs, 7 Lo-Boys, 2 # LoBoys, 1 CC, 1 H, 1 other

Postby Arthur Luke » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:00 pm

Have a good day, Art Image
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi,
Guess I guessed the wrong piece, and didn't mention the other one, either one could be broken on the mowers. If one or both is broken, then the knife bar usually slides down too far when the mower is up in the vertical position, like Geezer had happen. :)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi,
The 2 parts for the pitman are called straps in the Cub 22 mower parts list. My local Case IH dealer says they are both available. The rear one, with the point is $31.05, and the front one is $35.65, here in the west USA.

Geezer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Geezer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:37 pm

Well that is good info, thanks Glen. If my weld fix strikes out I obviously will seek a used or new replacement. I sure appreciate all the responses to this thread. Helped me a ton getting the sickle mower mounted and operational. One great forum.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:18 am

I love threads like this... someone comes in with lots of questions and is relatively new to the Cub world and the great members of this forum jump in and help the guy get going. Then the thread wraps up with a post of "hey guys...lookie here...I got a working such and such"... You can just tell the smile on the guy's face and the satisfaction of getting things running again after years.

This is a great forum! Thanks for posting to it, Geezer!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:55 pm

You will love your Cub 22. I mow my yard with mine and love the results. I mow my lawn and the field with it. Its great to have one mower than can dot itall. And my wife gets happy watching it cut grass thats taller than the tractor.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Geezer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Geezer » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:54 am

I guess my blades are dull or I do not have the mower set up right (maybe both), I do not think I could get a cut on my lawn that would look very well mowed. Guess I will have to check them. Thanks
leerenovations wrote:You will love your Cub 22. I mow my yard with mine and love the results. I mow my lawn and the field with it. Its great to have one mower than can dot itall. And my wife gets happy watching it cut grass thats taller than the tractor.

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:51 am

Start with new sharp sections and that the register is right. The sickle will cut great but it leaves the old grass right on top instead of chopping it up fine. SO in about 2 days, you have a shade of tan sitting on top of green.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Return to “Farmall Cub”