This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fuel tank rust and decals

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
johntexas
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75069
Tractors Owned: 1948 David Bradley
1953 Farmall Cub
1976 JD 650 compact

Fuel tank rust and decals

Postby johntexas » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:04 pm

THANK YOU Dennis
I am brand spanking new to this site and to Farmall Cub. I retired recently and restored a 1948 David Bradley. The Cub is the new project.
The fuel tank is rusty and needs to go to the radiator shop and I was wondering if this process will mean that I will need all new side and front decals and a repaint?
Where do you buy decals for a 1953 Cub?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fuel tank rust and decals

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:14 pm

Welcome.

I believe you can seal the inside of the gas tank yourself. Search function, top of page, for RedKote or POR. Several discussions on the topic.

If you use either product you will not have to refinish the tank's exterior.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:35 pm

I found out the hard way that if the tank is dipped, virtually all the paint is removed.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:17 pm

you can flush a tank rust with muriatic acid, most hardware stores have it for less than $10 a gallon

Brendan In NC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27858
Tractors Owned: 1964 Farmall Cub Red Square Nose # 223883 one of 2300 built before they switch to Yellow and White.

1964 Farmall 140 #27512
Just a Clean Strong run of the mill Farmall 140 with very little Wear.

Also have a bit of equipment
Woods C-42 Belly mower, 1963 IH McCormick #215 Plow, IH #144 Cultivators, IH Side Dresser (in need of some work non working at the moment)

Postby Brendan In NC » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:17 pm

You can get the full decal set from MaplehunterDecals Here's the link.
http://www.maplehunterdecalsindiana.com ... ylcut.aspx
the Tank on my 64 Was clean just some black nastiness an sediment at the bottom, clean now an running perfect 8)
Good luck on you're 53! id like to get me a Early Cub one day iv just grown a liking for Square nose's Lol
Tractors are like watermelons..Eat the red and throw away the green!!
Brendan Dixon Greenville NC
1964 Farmall Cub #223883
1964 Farmall 140 #27512
Tractorguy140, YouTube

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:48 pm

G'day and Welcome :D

Decals are available at Maple Hunter, TM Tractor, C&G and any good CaseIH Dealer. Depends on which ones you want. They are not all that expensive.

I would recommend that you send the tank to the rad shop and have it Red Kote'd. When I did Ellie-Mae's tank ..

they cleaned and sealed the inside without stripping the outside .. so no dunking .. but the whole process is a lot better.

When I sent Granny's tank off to get done, they dipped it to inspect it to make sure there is no holes. Granny's required some welding for a bunch of pin holes in the bottom of the tank. You end up with a solid tank that will outlast us .. and not leak. It should be well primed on the outside when you pick it up.

I am happy with both methods, but having the whole tank done is way better.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:42 pm

You can do the tank yourself and save quite a bit of money. Just suggesting that you can use the heat of the sun to do all the critical work.

Basically I cleaned the tank then set it on saw horses in the sun for two days to completely dry out. Installed the Red-Kote and again sat on the saw horses until there was no longer any smell.

I have done several small gas tanks in winter but it takes days for them to dry out in the basement, or I have to use the exhaust on the shop vac for many hours to completely dry out the tank and many more hours to cure the coating.

Red-Kote for sure has fumes, so you should do the work outside.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”