Fuel tank rust and decals

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:04 pm

THANK YOU Dennis
I am brand spanking new to this site and to Farmall Cub. I retired recently and restored a 1948 David Bradley. The Cub is the new project.
The fuel tank is rusty and needs to go to the radiator shop and I was wondering if this process will mean that I will need all new side and front decals and a repaint?
Where do you buy decals for a 1953 Cub?

Re: Fuel tank rust and decals

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:14 pm

Welcome.

I believe you can seal the inside of the gas tank yourself. Search function, top of page, for RedKote or POR. Several discussions on the topic.

If you use either product you will not have to refinish the tank's exterior.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:35 pm

I found out the hard way that if the tank is dipped, virtually all the paint is removed.

Bob

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:17 pm

you can flush a tank rust with muriatic acid, most hardware stores have it for less than $10 a gallon

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:17 pm

You can get the full decal set from MaplehunterDecals Here's the link.
http://www.maplehunterdecalsindiana.com ... ylcut.aspx
the Tank on my 64 Was clean just some black nastiness an sediment at the bottom, clean now an running perfect 8)
Good luck on you're 53! id like to get me a Early Cub one day iv just grown a liking for Square nose's Lol

Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:48 pm

G'day and Welcome :D

Decals are available at Maple Hunter, TM Tractor, C&G and any good CaseIH Dealer. Depends on which ones you want. They are not all that expensive.

I would recommend that you send the tank to the rad shop and have it Red Kote'd. When I did Ellie-Mae's tank ..

they cleaned and sealed the inside without stripping the outside .. so no dunking .. but the whole process is a lot better.

When I sent Granny's tank off to get done, they dipped it to inspect it to make sure there is no holes. Granny's required some welding for a bunch of pin holes in the bottom of the tank. You end up with a solid tank that will outlast us .. and not leak. It should be well primed on the outside when you pick it up.

I am happy with both methods, but having the whole tank done is way better.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:42 pm

You can do the tank yourself and save quite a bit of money. Just suggesting that you can use the heat of the sun to do all the critical work.

Basically I cleaned the tank then set it on saw horses in the sun for two days to completely dry out. Installed the Red-Kote and again sat on the saw horses until there was no longer any smell.

I have done several small gas tanks in winter but it takes days for them to dry out in the basement, or I have to use the exhaust on the shop vac for many hours to completely dry out the tank and many more hours to cure the coating.

Red-Kote for sure has fumes, so you should do the work outside.