This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

NEWBIE WITH PROBLEMS

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
retireddrill
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14782

NEWBIE WITH PROBLEMS

Postby retireddrill » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:11 pm

Thank you for letting me join the forum.Always wanted a cub.Just purchased one today.1959 lo boy with a belly mower.Previous owner stated he owned it for 20 years.he put a new radiator on it.All seemed ok when I looked at it and ranit around the yard.Brought it home and used it all seemed good.Took it to my property and started cutting grass and all of a sudden it lost power when going up a hill.It also started to over heat.Also on the underside there is a 2-3 inch round plus with a bolt in the center.Appears oil is leaking out of there and the oil color looks a little chocolate colored.The oil in the dip stick looks nice and clean.Any suggestions I am handy but not a motorhead.

Thank you !

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: NEWBIE WITH PROBLEMS

Postby tst » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Welcome to the forum, loss of power possible fuel restriction, such as sediment bowl screen, plugged jets or maybe just needs a good tune up, when you see big bolt in the middle do you mean in the housing under the radiator?, if so that is a drain for the cooling system , should be a 3/8 pipe plug, sounds like threads may have been damaged and a bolt was jammed in the hole so it has sealing issues with the bolt in it, cooling system probably needs a flush, does it have the fan belt and a shroud on it?
good luck Tim

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Welcome and so far nothing sounds serious.

I would start out with a complete fluid change and complete tune up.

Tackle one problem at a time. Example,the fluid dripping from the hand hole cover on bottom of torque tube can come from the transmission, over filled due to condensation, or the rear engine seal. Not an immediate or emergency problem. Might be solved by the transmission fluid change.

Top of page, manuals, free down load. Operator's manual for your tractor contains a lot of great information.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:37 pm

I believe the large "plug" with a bolt you spoke of may be the clutch housing hand hole cover on the "belly" just to the rear of where the engine bolts to the clutch housing. If so, it should have a wing nut that you loosen (don't need to completely remove it) and slide the plate out. You then have access to the throwout bearing and the clutch. Take a peak, but have some rags...it'll be grungy up there!!

You may have a rear engine seal or front transmission seal leak. Unless fluid is pouring out, it is not an immediate problem. Just put an oil pan under him/her and check the levels of both! There are solutions for both possible problems that are not too difficult to fix.

Welcome and good luck!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:01 am

Welcome from 180 miles away….You need to download a manual and familiarize yourself with the nomenclature of the parts etc on the tractor…That would be a big plus in diagnosing a problem on the forum..I kinda agree with Dale in so far as your description…Whenever I (and most others) get a tractor I go thru it and check and change all the fluids from the front to back…This usually prevents a lot of headaches down the road..Also familiarizes you with the workings of the tractor..Read all you can(manuals) and put your knowledge to use…You may not be a "motor head" now but you soon will be…Its the draw of the Cub... :lol: Again welcome…Dave..Attend a local Cub Fest also…Theres a one day mini-fest coming up in August in Valatie NY…Check the listings at the top of the index page...
In Memory of 58,286

retireddrill
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby retireddrill » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:22 am

Thank you all for the help topics.Ok took a chance on the cover and removed it.Its a inspection or access cover.Nailed it full of gook and grime.Will take the advise and change all fluids and give a fresh tuneup and then see what happens from there.
Just got a manual so will study up.Thank you again.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:55 am

Most of your questions have been covered, so I will address the overheating. Was it actually boiling, or just blowing water/coolant? Many people new to cubs tend to overfill the radiator, and it then blows the excess out the overflow. If the overflow is broken off near the top it may even have blown enough liquid on the distributor, etc. to cause it to misfire and loose power. Coolant when cold only needs to be about 1/2 inch over the top of the tubes.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

retireddrill
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby retireddrill » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:28 pm

the overheating there was just some steam.Before using I checked the fluid and it was up near the top.This morning while cold I checked it and it was about 1/2 inch above the last core.The tractor has a shroud and new radiator.After it gets running again I will see if it stays at the present location.
Thank you.

Return to “Farmall Cub”