This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission parts?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04730
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub...so far

Transmission parts?

Postby Posco » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:28 am

It seems the castle nut that holds the gears, spacers, etc. in place wasn't tightened/torqued properly and is what accounts for the growling I've been hearing in my transmission. Consequently, a lot of those parts need to be replaced. Does anyone carry all of these parts in new condition?

I've seen the gears available from different suppliers but not the spacers, etc.. Anyone know of one-stop shopping that carries everything you'd need to pretty much rebuild a transmission? Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transmission parts?

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:03 am

What you need to do is get a good transmission from an early Cub Cadet and replace the transmission or transfer the gear set to your transmission. If you use the entire Cub Cadet transmission, you will have to reverse the differential.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:41 am

Don McCombs wrote:What you need to do is get a good transmission from an early Cub Cadet and replace the transmission or transfer the gear set to your transmission. If you use the entire Cub Cadet transmission, you will have to reverse the differential.

More cost effective, more durable or am I going to have a hard time finding the parts? I told the wife my tractor was a solid investment. Arrggg!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:58 am

Posco wrote:More cost effective, more durable or am I going to have a hard time finding the parts? I told the wife my tractor was a solid investment. Arrggg!
Tractors as a solid investment. True statement since virtually all parts are metal, definitely solid. Getting invested money back is usually a problem.

You may find one of the manual transmissioned Cub Cadet in the scrap pile at your local small engine, lawn mower repair, shops. They also come up at auctions and usually sell for a couple hundred dollars. The transmissions will be used but in great shape.

Other alternative is to advertise in "The Vine" and contact the advertisers on this site. Several folks part out Cubs.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:03 am

Posco,

An early Cub Cadet transmission is the exact same transmission as the Cub transmission, everything is there. Swap everything out or use the transmission (after reversing the differential, as Don said). Consumables, gaskets, seals, etc. are readily available from numerous sources. Art Chester (ArtC), a member here, has had and may still have good Cub Cadet transmissions. Send him a PM. He is in New England, so he is relatively close.

Going the route of the Cub Cadet transmission is MUCH less expensive than buying new parts by the piece.

Good luck.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:12 am

You guys are the best, always helpful when someone needs a hand. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:23 am

Artc definitely has goodies lying around his shop. I went down to see him about my Super A cylinder head. Great guy!

Posco, I live in Western Mass on the CT border. This area is known as "Tobacco Valley" and almost all of the farms still use old Farmalls. They just never needed to get into big scale agriculture equipment. So in the area where I am there's bound to be parts/tractors.

You can always hit up Western Mass Craiglist too.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Posco
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Posco » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:21 am

havoc1482 wrote:Artc definitely has goodies lying around his shop. I went down to see him about my Super A cylinder head. Great guy!

Posco, I live in Western Mass on the CT border. This area is known as "Tobacco Valley" and almost all of the farms still use old Farmalls. They just never needed to get into big scale agriculture equipment. So in the area where I am there's bound to be parts/tractors.

You can always hit up Western Mass Craiglist too.

Thanks for the tip! tst has been helpful in those ways as well.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Hamilton Bob, a site sponsor, sells "gizzards" from 154 cub transmissions, also in good shape (Usually mowed grass)
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”