Newbie Rockshaft Question

Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi all: First up, I am utterly ignorant of all things tractors. However, as Amy has always wanted "A little red Farmall" I now own a 1949 Cub. It has what I believe to be a hydraulic reservoir near the back of the engine connected to (I believe) a hydraulic pump nearer the front. When I move the lever to control the arms (rockshaft?) nothing happens. Additionally, there seems a buzzing noise from the area where I think the hyd pump is.

It seems I should change out the fluid first. If I'm correct in that the square reservoir has a drain plug on one side and a much larger fill bolt on the other. I can't seem to find what type of fluid I should replace it with? I'm assuming standard hydraulic fluid but may be completely off here. Also, I'm assuming the drain and fill procedure is straightforward?

Thanks, gary

Re: Newbie Rockshaft Question

Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:53 pm


Top of page. Open PDF manuals. Then select Operator's Manuals. Free down load, select a year closest to your tractor's.

The Operator's Manual has your needed information and a whole lot more.

I would top off the hydraulic reservoir and see if the system works. There is a good chance that the hydraulic pump has leaked oil into the engine crankcase. But topping off the and seeing if it works will help narrow down the problem.

Hydraulic fluid. Most folks recommend Hytran or it's equivalent. I use generic hydraulic oil. But if you read the operator's manual you will find that in early tractors, 10 or 20 wt non detergent oil was recommended.

Re: Newbie Rockshaft Question

Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:19 pm

As Eugene suggests, check the level first. As for draining procedure, loosen the fill plug to relieve any pressure before removing the drain plug.