This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

engine siezed 1947 Farmall Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ecbrewster
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02631
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

engine siezed 1947 Farmall Cub

Postby ecbrewster » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:51 pm

I have removed the head and oil pan and inspected all bearing journals and cannot find a reason for the bind. The engine cannot be turned with the starter or crank. It had been running just prior to this problem and has always been maintained and garaged. There is no sign of rust on any part of the engine but it is bound up solid. I first started binding as I was turning the engine by hand to time it. I didn't have a crank at the time and used the pto pulley to rotate the engine. I may have rotated it in reverse several times. Could this have caused a problem?

This tractor is equipped with hydraulic touch control.

I have eliminated all of the usual suspects, fan, starter, transmission. It is currently stripped down to the basics. What is left? Hydraulic system or governor?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

EC

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: engine siezed 1947 Farmall Cub

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:08 pm

A possibility is the starter is locked into the flywheel, but I have never seen that happen except when trying to start it with the starter, though I guess it is possible for it to happen if you turn it backward and the starter drive is not clear of the flywheel gear. To check that, loosen the 2 starter bolts a couple of rounds, then put transmission in 3rd and grab top of wheel and rock forward and backward. If you see the fan turn a little you have cleared it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:37 pm

something dropped out of the clutch and got where it shouldnt be ?? thanks; sonny

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:38 am

Still have the magneto or distributor to remove. I would then strip off the governor and hydraulic pump, one at a time, looking for the problem.

Hydraulic pump, when you get it off look inside the front cover for a loose nut or washer jamming the gears. You might be able to see if the idler gears are jammed since you have the oil pan removed.

If none of the previous suggestions work - - - - pull the engine and place on the bench.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:33 am

make sure its not just a stuck valve

ecbrewster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ecbrewster » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 pm

I have tried all of the above except for loose part in clutch and hydraulic pump. I guess that's next. Thanks to you all!!

ecbrewster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ecbrewster » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:29 pm

Problem finally solved today. Although there was no sign of rust or corrosion I thought I would try one final step to be sure that it wasn't a stuck piston. I cut a block of wood the same size as a piston, about 3 inches long. I had been soaking the pistons and valves in penetrating oil for several weeks since the engine has been idle for over a year. I placed the block of wood on the top of each piston and used an air chisel with a hammer head installed and vibrated each piston for a period of time with the air pressure reduced to about 50 psi. After several minutes on each piston the engine turned free!!! I never expected a piston to be frozen with no signs of rust or carbon build up. Problem solved! Ready to put it back together. Thanks for all of your input.

ShineOn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63645
Tractors Owned: Bolens 1250

Cub 1949

Postby ShineOn » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Don't ya just love a little chatter gun ?
The Constitution established a Government in Trust . Go from there .

Return to “Farmall Cub”