This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need Help- transmission drain holes..

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
smars4444
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01985
Tractors Owned: 1956 Lo-Boy "Nellie" with L-22 sickle mower.
2003 Kubota BX23
Circle of Safety: Y

Need Help- transmission drain holes..

Postby smars4444 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:58 am

The transmission front lubricating drain hole to the bearing on my Cub is plugged. I've tried using wire to get it free but having no luck.. :evil: does anyone have any tricks for getting that clear?

thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Need Help- transmission drain holes..

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:30 am

This is the hole that is accessible after removing the shifter cover? It is possible that it was not drilled correctly or completely when originally manufactured. It may be necessary to remove and disassemble the transmission to determine and correct the problem.
Luck favors those who are prepared

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:49 am

It also is angled forward a bit, and if your input shaft has slid forward due to the input shaft seal retainer being installed backwards, the bearing may be blocking the hole.

smars4444
10+ Years
10+ Years
2003 Kubota BX23

Postby smars4444 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:55 am

Yes.. I seem to be hitting solid metal after putting a piece of wire in about 1/2". I just tried spraying some brake cleaner in the hole.. It's obviously been like this for a while, how critical is that lubrication hole?

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:15 am

best to use a magnet first....
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

smars4444
10+ Years
10+ Years
2003 Kubota BX23

Postby smars4444 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:18 am

I will try a magnet.. I am the 3rd owner and I don't think the transmission has ever been worked on. Thank you everyone for your replies!

Stan

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:21 am

blow air in the hole,if air passes through it so does the oil

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:00 pm

The front hole does not come down into a bearing as the rear one does, but into a pocket that it fills with oil. Different bearing, unless it has backed out should not make a difference. Unless a wider one has been put in that is. Not sure what size wire you are using, but something on the order of baling wire, if old hill billy, or mechanics wire if more sophisticated, works good.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

smars4444
10+ Years
10+ Years
2003 Kubota BX23

Postby smars4444 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:36 am

Well... after trying to ream out the front drain hole with various sizes of wire and drill bits, blowing it out with air, I cleaned out the hole and can see very shiny metal. It looks like the top of a bearing... hard to believe some oil or air would not leak by it but it doesn't. I suspect it's been like this for quite some time so I'm going to button the cover back up and forget about it for now. The fact that it is like that will drive me crazy so I hope to either tear down the transmission or replace it next year. :( . The only issue with the transmission is it sounds like nuts and bolts rattling in 2nd gear going down hill only, but all other gears are quiet.. Thank you very much for all the help, what a great forum!

Stan

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:32 am

Have you looked at the front bearing from the transmission side? If it has been replaced it may be a sealed bearing, and if so you would not be able to blow air down that hole unless you force either the seal on the bearing, or the one on the shaft, which would not have a good result. It has been a year or more since I was into that part of the transmission and I sometimes have to think a while to remember how they are made, but as I recall that hole comes down on top of the seal retainer, which also pushes against the bearing and holds it in place. The oil hole actually briefly passes through an open area just before it hits that retainer which allows oil to drain into that cavity and lubricate the bearing. The original bearing had a shield on the gear side that allowed the oil to slowly drain out. If it has ever been replaced, it may have a bearing that is sealed on one side (next to gears) or maybe even sealed on both sides, in which case the oil will just puddle in the cavity and oil hole. You might try putting a slight bend on the end of your wire and see if the hole opens out a little just before it hits the metal.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”