This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

rebuilt C60 on craigslist, should i buy?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

Re: rebuilt C60 on craigslist, should i buy?

Postby ad356 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:19 am

i really cannot turn this engine down. im going to go look at it today. if he can prove to me that it's a good running engine im going to buy it. i would be a fool not to. i could have a complete engine for $300 that was most likely rebuilt?? why not have a spare that price point. i could "mothball" it and have an engine for my cub put away. i could run my tractor for the rest of my life without spending too much more, except perhaps a new clutch, brakes, tires, radiator and batteries?? i think i would be a fool to at least not give it serous consideration. i use my tractor regularly its no garage queen and no lawn ornament. the idea of having a spare engine that could be swapped in a few hours is very appealing. in the event that my engine needs a major overhaul, the tractor would be down hours not months while i overhaul it. in that case the engine i have right now would become the spare, rebuild-able block.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:37 am

As long as it has been I am surprised that someone has not bought it! Most of the time good deals do not last long
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:19 am

ad356 wrote:taken right from that AD. Was rebuilt before I owned the tractor.
Considering the age of the original tractor, the rebuild might have been 30, 40, or 50 years ago.

Anyway, worth taking a look.

If the engine is complete and all the advertised parts were there - - I would make sure the engine was free and not try to get it started.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:16 pm

the guy actually did me a huge favor. he hung on to the engine for me so i can look at it today. i worked a 9 day stretch at work so i havent had a chance to look at it yet. i explained the situation to him and he told me he could hang on to it. IF it is a decent engine i will buy it, but i want a good running engine. if it doesnt run well i wont buy it as i already have a good running engine. i just want a good spare

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:49 pm

Report back on what you find. If you don't purchase the engine, report the owner's contact information.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:56 pm

im reporting back on the engine. i bought it, it runs well. it had a slight amount of black smoke at startup but it has been sitting 6 months. it's the complete engine for $300 for an engine that runs decently i could not pass it up. its worth more then that in parts. what should i keep? everything? or should i sell the things i dont need like the hydraulic pump, carburetor, generator, ect and only keep the long block? its a healthy running C60, there is no way to tell how many hours are on the rebuild but she has a long way to go yet. i paid for 1/2 of the engine and will pay for the balance when i pick it up

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:14 pm

ad356 wrote:what should i keep? everything?
Everything for a while. You can always sell parts at a later date --- if needed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:18 pm

this engine was in regular use last winter. its not like it sat for years. it fired up almost instantly . what should i do for long term storage, i was going to put it on an engine stand. should i get a small fuel tank and run it once in a while OR should i simply remove the gas from the carburetor and squirt oil down the cylinders to prevent seizing? perhaps i should drain the oil or leave it in the oil pan?

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:53 pm

ad356 wrote:what is the tall block configuration? that's still the same thing that's in a standard cub? what about that zenith carb it comes with? can i simply install that on my cub's current engine and gain a couple of hp?? if i have a zenith and i am not paying for it, might as well???

out of curiosity the block was in good shape, but i was thinking that on an engine installed in a 154 the block wouldn't be under the same stress as it would be in a standard cub as in a standard cub. when this engine is installed in a 154, the frame would take the punishment of working a blade, not the engine. when installed in a standard cub you have no frame, the engine is the frame therefore the engine takes all of the force from plowing snow. just saying i dont think there are any problems with that mentioned issue with a 154.

now when it comes to my tractor, i cant remember; but what is the solution in preventing that from happening. my tractor is in good shape and i would like to keep it that way. the good news is that i dont have a whole lot of objects in my driveway that my blade would get hung up on.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:39 pm

The solution to prevent block damage is, don't go ramming around with reckless abandon. You are your own worst enemy in this situation. Only very rarely will you come across an obstacle that is unavoidable. Cubs only go 2 or 3 MPH depending on which gear.

BTW, I think he meant "long block" not "tall block."

A long block is a complete engine ready to run. A short block is just the block, with the rotating assembly installed.

There is no special "tall" version of the Cub engine.

Return to “Farmall Cub”