This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Intermittent ignition cutoff

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JimCT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Intermittent ignition cutoff

Postby JimCT » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:03 pm

It all started last winter plowing snow. Tractor starts instantly... no problems. After 10 minutes, sometimes sooner, the engine cuts out briefly then resumes normal running. Sometimes it does it only once per hour or so of running, sometimes more frequently. Fuel flow is fine... no starvation and the carb is good... it just behaves as if I'd momentarily pushed in the kill switch then pulled out out again. Sometimes the engine dies entirely and after cranking (starter motor) for about 5-10 seconds, engine starts & runs smoothly. Tractor has mag. ignition. There is no lack of power when she's running.

What I've done to try to correct problem: New points, plugs, condenser, mag coil... all of which had no effect on the problem... not worse, not better. Thinking it may be the kill switch itself, I disconnected that and the problem remained.

The ignition system is dead-simple on these girls but I'm stumped. Any one out there in interwebnet land have any ideas? If you're nearby and come up with the fix it's worth a beer of your brand. We've had the Cub since '52 and this is the first time she's had this sort of a problem. She's no show girl; still works hauling a trailer & plowing snow.
'49 Cub, Ford 621, Ford 2000 diesel, CJ5 diesel

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Intermittent ignition cutoff

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:50 pm

This one is going to be hard to diagnose. Sounds like it's an ignition/magneto problem.

Would be easier to solve the problem if the tractor just quit and wouldn't start.
I have an excuse. CRS.

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Postby offrink » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:26 pm

Double check the wires. One could be shorting out.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:20 am

Agree with Eugene and offrink. Does it cut out after the engine has warmed up or act up at any time. If it does it after warming up then the mag coil could be going bad (i.e. a n internal break or short) but normally a coil going bad will show other signs, like a weak spark. By your description it could be an short or a broken wire anywhere and with a mag ignition there's not much to check but can be a bugger to locate. One place to check is where the lead to the points goes through the housing, sometimes they will short out there and can be intermittent. I'm sure you'll find it. Good luck.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

JimCT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JimCT » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:45 am

Agree, if it had just quit that would be a lot easier. Will check the lead to the points. The mag coil is new so that's out of the equation. Haven't replaced the dist. cap so will do that. Have wiggled wires to see if there is an iffy short to ground but nothing found. Will report back.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:08 pm

Double check the wire to the mag and make sure it doesn't have a bare spot that might rub against the tractor during operating. If it rubs anything it will cause the mag to shut down.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:52 pm

JimCT wrote:The mag coil is new so that's out of the equation.

Not necessarily! Check to see where it's manufactured.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

JimCT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JimCT » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:18 pm

Concerning the wire to the mag from the kill switch, I disconnected that and the problem remained. Regarding the mag coil, after I replaced it with the new one (manufactured God knows where) the problem was the same. I fully agree with your comments... somewhere there is something shorting. Will tear down the whole system again and double-check all wires, insulating grommets and examine everything. Something is breaking down somewhere after she's warmed up a bit... which does indeed point a finger at the coil. Will pick up another one and see what happens.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:37 pm

Before you purchase another magneto coil, convert the magneto to an external battery powered coil.

If you have an extra coil on hand or can borrow it from another tractor, the test should be at about zero out of pocket dollars.
I have an excuse. CRS.

JimCT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JimCT » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:34 am

VICTORY! it was indeed a short.

Inside the J4 housing where the leads from the mag coil and the condenser connect to the housing shorting terminal, the crimp insulator on the coil wire connector had slipped back and the bare crimp was occasionally shorting to ground. In the process of this final tear-down I found hairline cracks in the bakelite coil cover so that was replaced. She's all buttoned-up now & back to work. She's been with us for 62 years now.