This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Time for another stupid question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.
Circle of Safety: Y

Time for another stupid question

Postby leerenovations » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:18 am

OK, First let me say that vehicle electrical systems are not my specialty. Now, everyone said that my Cub not wanting to start after being shut down after running a while and my lack of power came from a bad coil. I see that they sell a 6 volt coil for the farmall Cub. I bought said 6 volt coil for my 48 Cub. When I went to replace it, I cant find the coil. I looked all over the tractor and cant find a coil at all. I just have a plug wire going from the cap on the magneto to the distributor cap. I thought all engines had a coil to fire the plugs. AM I missing something, or is there something I should know? I took the whole hood off and cleaned all conatcts and she seems to run better now, but this coil thing really bothers me. Mine is a 48 with the original 6 volt system.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Re: Time for another stupid question

Postby Urbish » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:52 am

You have a magneto and the coil is part of the magneto. Have a look at the electrical manual for more information: http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/files/S ... -27-55.pdf
Jim

Circle of Safety

Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower

Postby Eoghan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:55 am

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will chime in soon, but I'm up early so here goes... :coffee:

I believe the 48 would have a magneto, not a distributor. I'm not totally clear on the inner workings, but some magnetos produce enough voltage to power the spark plugs without a coil. A little poking in old forum posts confirms that the 48 indeed has no need of an external coil.

As for where that puts you in fixing your problem I'm not sure.. have to wait for someone who knows how those things work.

jpcubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74022
Skype Name: jpcubs
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub

Postby jpcubs » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:28 am

The coil is under the cover where the coil wire comes out. four screws to take coil out. mag coil is different from dist. coil. hope this helps

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:08 am

The magneto coil is internal, and is different than the long round thing you bought. You can take that back (maybe), and purchase the mag coil on ebay for about $60. However, if digging into the magneto scares you, I and several others rebuild those. It is more pricey than battery ignition, but has the beauty of not needing a battery. Your other choices are to butcher the magneto into becoming a distributor, which is the worst but cheapest fix. Or you can replace the magneto with a battery ignition distributor, and then use the coil you already bought.Once you decide, this forum can assist you with the next steps.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:15 am

I would guess you have already done this, but before getting elbow deep into the magneto, make sure your points are clean and properly gapped and that your tractor is properly timed. This youtube video illustrates the static timing procedure which takes about three minutes to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqucExhxXdE
Jim

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”