This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

serously considering buying that engine

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

serously considering buying that engine

Postby ad356 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:04 pm

the guy told me he would accept $300. i have not looked at it yet, im probably going to look at it tomorrow. he said he doesnt have receipts but no knocks, strange noises, or smoke. he said its rebuilt but who really knows. i know there is that factor, however this is a complete engine. cylinder head, distributor, coil, hydraulic pump, governor carburetor, oil pan, complete air cleaner, and generator. he said it's not down in power. i will be able to hear the engine run before i buy it. if it sounds good, doesn't smoke, and passes my inspection the price really is right. it will but put underneath my bench "mothballed" for use when my current engine gets tired.

by the way what does it cost to rebuild one of these engines??

i think being a complete engine, that if it runs good and doesnt need an overhaul it would be a great deal. i see used blocks on ebay, stripped down selling for $150+. this is a complete engine that apparently runs excellent. i think the parts alone should easily be worth the money.

would any of those accessories be useful in a 12v conversion? the generator and distributor should be able to be used to convert my tractor over to 12v, correct?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: serously considering buying that engine

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:11 pm

ad356 wrote:by the way what does it cost to rebuild one of these engines?
Providing you do 90% or more of the labor, some where between $400- and $1200-, give or take a bunch. Depends on out of shop machine work required and parts.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:24 pm

The last one I had at the machine shop cost 1200. That included boring, new valve seats and guides and the engine kit with all gaskets, seals, pistons, rings and bearings. The crank was extra. I had a crank turned for another engine and that was 225.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:11 am

Just the carburetor is worth 100 dollars
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:43 am

When I overhauled Eddie's engine about 6 years ago, the bill came to $900+. I did not have to buy oversize or have anything bored or turned. I stripped the block down to the point that the cam & valves were the only parts left in it and took it to the dealer in southern WI and had them supply all the parts and arrange for the machine work.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:46 am

Yeah, $300 is good for a running engine. With the starter/generator setup he should be able to hotwire and run it for you, sitting on a couple of tires or hanging from a cherry picker.

Then again at $300, I might just take his word for it.

Return to “Farmall Cub”