This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

why so many cubs??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

why so many cubs??

Postby ad356 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:43 pm

i love my cub, i really truely enjoy this tractor. i enjoy working this tractor, its just a capable vintage tractor with parts being fairly readily available. that being said allot of you guys own multiple cubs. i really dont understand why. is one tractor not enough, i cant use more then one at a time, so why own more then one? if i had the budget (i really dont) and if i bought another tractor i would buy another different IH tractor.. super-a, farmall 100, farmall 140, ect. there were other great IH tractors to own as well as a cub. tell you one thing, lol you wouldnt find me on a green tractor. get red or your dead, lol (just kidding)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: why so many cubs??

Postby Stanton » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:50 pm

To each his own, but many on the forum have multiple Cubs because it's easier to dedicate one implement to each Cub rather than taking the time to change implements.

Then there are those who start down that slippery slope and just can't stop! :lol:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:51 pm

Unless you have a fast hitch and the implements to go along with it, it is time consuming and physically difficult to be frequently changing implements. I would guess that is the main reason most have multiple cubs, but not the only one.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

Postby ad356 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:24 pm

its a slight annoyance changing from the mower to the blade but i only do that once per year so its not so bad. i guess if i was going to own a second tractor it would be a different model. for example if i had the money there was a farmall H on craigslist with a loader for $1,800. the cub isnt the only thing i have that could be considered a hobby (i dont really consider the cub a hobby, it is but i bought the tractor for its utility value), i also have pinball machines. i have a williams high-speed, firepower, bride of pinbot, jokerz, and a data east WWF. i would not own 5 Williams high-speeds, lol. that being said pinball is another awesome hobby, in a world of electronic this and electronic that its a breath of fresh air.

Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 68736
Tractors Owned: '48 Farmall Cub w/ IH-Danco C2 belly mower, full cultivator
'52 Farmall Cub w/ 193 plow, 28-A disk, flail mower, buzz saw, leveling blade,
misc cultivator parts and attachments
1450 Cub Cadet with mower deck (sold)
'49 Farmall M w/ factory disk brakes (not super style)
'51 International I-9 - rusty yellow (sold but in family)

Postby Radec Aksarben » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:59 pm

I would love to have another cub. It would just be for fun though, since all I use my cub for is mowing. I have an M to run the JD 8w 9' sickle mower (I don't care. JD made awesome mowers) and for tractor drives. In my part of the world Ms and Hs are about a dime a dozen and Cs, Bs, As, and ESPECIALLY Cubs are hard to find.

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Postby offrink » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:17 pm

Radec pass some of those dimes over here! I'm looking for a cheap nice super M!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:59 pm

A standard Cub and a Numbered Low-Boy, currently have mounted mowers. Son on one tractor and I on the other, doesn't take long to mow about 5 acres. Cubs are used for light work or trailer work when we don't need a "horse" of a tractor.

We own other tractors and machines. But, Cub's are inexpensive to own and operate compared to other small tractors or commercial quality lawn mowers currently on the market.

Picking up building supplies at a big box store few years ago. Employees were helping the new owner load up a brand new garden tractor/lawn mower. Checked the price tag. Thought, I could purchase 8 Cubs in good condition with implements for the price of the tractor and still have enough money left over to operate the Cubs for many years.

Edit: Actually I don't need another tractor. Owning 2 Cubs, if I needed another tractor I would purchase something different, and still keep the 2 Cubs.
I have an excuse. CRS.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Unless you have a fast hitch and the implements to go along with it, it is time consuming and physically difficult to be frequently changing implements. I would guess that is the main reason most have multiple cubs, but not the only one.

Bob
….I have a Fast Hitch on one of mine, but its really a tedious chore to have to pull the latch up and get on and off etc…I thought about making a jigamahoo to operate it from the seat but I'm to busy …..So I had to buy another Cub and rebuild it and will install another fast hitch soon, so I can cut that chore in 1/2….Unfortunately my third cub has the old style rockshaft, and let me see, oh yeah the fender thing….And I definitely need one with a magneto also, and a loader,and well you know be nice to have a trailer queen I suppose…
and ummmmmmmmm :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:
In Memory of 58,286

nwfan1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby nwfan1 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:44 pm

Left alone in the barn they tend to multiply.... :D
'54 Standard Cub #185939
'55 Standard Cub #192323
'55 Loboy #732 with IH 1000 loader
'55 LoBoy #1937
"No holes in my hoods!"

smallfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43078

Postby smallfarm » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:55 pm

One for show and one for go?
They're like peanuts; one's too many and a thousand isn't enough.
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:45 pm

At one time I planned on getting a cub for every implement I have. With one cub, I was changing implements out very often. Doesn't take but a little while of changing from mower to belly plow to gaylott scoop to cultivators to blade to Poplarville disc to sickle mower...you get my drift! :-) But when I got up to 5 tractors, I discovered I didn't want to maintain and store anymore tractors. So I opted for a fast hitch on one cub, regular hydraulics on second cub, and hand lift on third cub. If I do anymore cubs, it will be for wheeling and dealing! :-)
Thomas

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:49 am

Caused by a virus. (Stay away from me, I'm a carrier)
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:28 am

ScottyD'sdad wrote:Caused by a virus. (Stay away from me, I'm a carrier)
Ed

I agree with Ed. I guess I need to buy some more implements. :lol:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:16 pm

Going from mower to blade in the fall, and blade to mower in the spring is one thing, but going from mower to cultivator and back once a WEEK during early summer, when both the yard and garden need constant attention... You'd do that about twice before you started shopping for another Cub.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:34 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote: You'd do that about twice before you started shopping for another Cub.

And since you already have multiple implements, another Cub is the reasonable choice for a second tractor. A good configuration is to use one tractor for mowing/drawbar and the other(s) for whatever else.

Return to “Farmall Cub”