This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

why so many cubs??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: why so many cubs??

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:27 pm

Stanton wrote:To each his own, but many on the forum have multiple Cubs because it's easier to dedicate one implement to each Cub rather than taking the time to change implements.

Then there are those who start down that slippery slope and just can't stop! :lol:

That just about sums it up.

1. Having multiple Cubs allows for dedicated uses.
2. After getting a 2nd Cub .. it gets kinda addictive. I have 3 running Cubs now, already sold one .. and I have 2 on the shelf in various stages of assembly :-) ....

Did I mention Cubs are addictive?

3. They also keep poppa occupied and outta trouble and outta momma's hair but close enough when needed. And there is an upside to that :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Goraidh (Jeff)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04236
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub "Jessie"
'64 Cub "Alex"

Postby Goraidh (Jeff) » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:49 am

Yeah, what everyone else said. Plus, I just like Cubs. They're a perfect way to have fun while working.
'49 Cub (#77786) "Jessie"
"64 Farmall Cub (#224657) "Alex"
Woods 42C-6
C-3 mower
Cub 54 Blade
193 Moldboard plow
Cub L-38 disc harrow
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cordwood Saw

Randy Tuura
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Postby Randy Tuura » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:51 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Matt Kirsch wrote: You'd do that about twice before you started shopping for another Cub.

And since you already have multiple implements, another Cub is the reasonable choice for a second tractor. A good configuration is to use one tractor for mowing/drawbar and the other(s) for whatever else.

I agree. One set of implements and several cubs. If you have several different tractors you might have to have more than one set of implements. From the set-up time and effort alone, more than one cub each dedicated to one implement makes a lot of sense to me.
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62278

Postby Eikel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:04 pm

Simply put, My name is Eikel and I'm addicted. Yes, my wife has asked me how many tractors one man needs; I keep treating that as a retorical question.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:39 pm

Here's my perspective of all things Cub. A typical Cub was the height of technology from around 100 years ago. That was when my father was born. Model T Ford was an automotive marvel for the common man and Cadillac became the Standard of the World, Chrysler was yet to be founded. It was an ancient machine when brand new.

Having muliple Cubs is a blessing when you have non-Fast Hitch implements to use. I'm an old f@rt with many aches, severe pains and lousy memory, it's easier to get another old engine running than to monkey around with removing an implement and looking for lost components for the new installation. Agility, brute strength and finding critical stuff are fleeting memories.

A three point hitch is required for any new implement so a more modern tractor is needed to hook up to such things. Some folks have 3-points on Cubs but more power is needed to perform the job than a C-60 can produce. Such is the case with anything where time or energy is insufficient. Alas, many machines can do what the Cub can not.

All my machines were once painted with some lovely shade of red or yellow in various places. There might be some have another color combined with those two primaries. Rust is the common demoninator. I have a variety of Cubs from near the begining of the line to near the end. Some of my other machines are considerably more powerful than the Cub, others have single cylinder engines. But all are comprised of a thread that runs through all and it isn't stamped steel or some exotic alloy.

Long live cast iron!
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:25 pm

Carl :thumbsup:

Why haven't you written a Cub Story? That was an excellent writeup.

Dennis

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks, Dennis! I'll get my creative ideas flowing.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to “Farmall Cub”